Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fullframe fever. Am I crazy?

The UPS website said to expect the package by 12PM on Tuesday. My wife waited patiently until 3:15, when she needed to go out and pick up Bella. At 3:21 the UPS man showed up. Oddly enough, the UPS website, even AFTER 12PM said the package was on time and should be delivered at 12PM. Now, you could argue that maybe they don't have a live update, but minutes after the attempted delivery I did see the failure.

So, if they know where the truck is, what's been delivered so far, and where I am in the queue, why can't I get a reasonable delivery estimate? Because they can charge extra for that. Grrr. I'm hating you more and more UPS.

Today I stayed home from work to save my wife from having another unproductive day of waiting for Mr. Brown.

I must say, the comments about the 1Ds Mark II having awkward controls don't do this camera justice. I've never seen anything as obfuscated as this, ever. I'm nearly 40, so I was around when home PCs were a new thing, when people tried all sorts of unusual things. The menu and image navigation controls are a particularly quirky design I hope to never see repeated.

The LCD screen is amazing(ly bad). The previous owner (who's name is embedded in my images, which you can't change outside of EOS Utility, which no longer supports this camera) had the LCD set too bright, so everything looked over-washed out and blurry. Now it just looks blurry. I mean, this screen must have been considered a joke in 2004. Truly.

The Custom functions are fun. Half of them are not camera settable, you must use EOS utility. For things as advanced as "Burst rate", with options as convoluted as 1, 2, 3, and 4. Nope, can't possibly set that in camera. You'll note above, modern copies of EOS utility won't speak to this camera. I told you it was fun!

The pictures though, they are pretty. It's hard to judge here, because, as usual, my images are slightly too big for my Flickr account, and Flickr resizes them. I've just noticed that images from this camera get super extra sharpened by Flickr. It didn't do that to my T1i or 7D images. No idea what Flickr is thinking. Perhaps I'll find time to upload some smaller images tomorrow.

70300L by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

70300L_100pc by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

85b by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

85 by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

50 by namethatnobodyelsetook, on Flickr

I don't know David but you may not be too happy with the controls, etc. but IMO, your photos have some real "pop" going on here and I think they all look great!

Congrats on your purchase. I hope all the "fun" is worth it. I'll check back on those photos after work.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Just a note to anyone planning on following in my footsteps.

1. You will need an old XP machine with firewire.
    2. You can find a WIA 5.5.0 driver on Canon's USA site (the European WIA 5.5.0 driver doesn't appear to work). You will need this to make the firewire port work.
    3. Then you can find EOS Viewer on Canon's Europe site. This is the utility that will let you change your copyright information and custom functions. While you can transfer files with USB 1.1 (*sort of), you will need firewire to change settings.

*sort of - USB1.1 transfer is at a rate of about 1 image per minute. I started a transfer, made supper, let the dogs out, went to the store, bought a CF reader, came home, and my USB transfer still had an hour to go, so I canceled it, and transferred the images via USB 2 Lexar multi-reader in about 3 minutes.