Thread: AF on 650D issue?

AF on 650D issue?

Hey all,

Trying to master my camera before my holiday and I've run into an issue.

When in AF mode you can usually tap on the screen and it will focus on that spot then automatically take the shot. However now it will just focus on it, wait for 5 seconds then refocus. I'm guessing it's just due to te light in the house? It's 10pm and we're only going off ceiling lights etc.

Do you think this is a possible low light issue or is there maybe a setting I'm missing? Also, when I do it in program mode or aperture mode (same light) it defaults to a 2 second shot etc, is this possibly due to lighting conditions also?

Sorry if they're dumb questions, it's just that we may be going dolphin watching and my fiancé is really, really looking forward to it and I don't want to blow the shots.

yes will be low light affecting your shot.

you will either have to keep the shutter open longer, increases iso, or both

What you are describing SOUNDS LIKE in low light it is difficult for the contrast detect part to "lock on" the phase detect is used to "get close" and the contrast detect is fine tuning.

To test get a flash light and after the camera has a problem, add a little light to the spot with a flashlight and see if the focus lock acts more quickly.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Thanks, I'll try it outside when I get myself out of bed. It's also annoying when using AF and taking a shot when the shot won't be taken. For example you press down the shutter button then nothing. Works fine in MF though.

It's weird though because iso still auto detects to either 100 or 200.

It appears it was lack of natural light causing it. Weird.

Heard this camera was good in low light? Or is that just the night mode scene thing?