Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 6D Announced (sort of)

I really don't know, Dr. Croubie.

The only reason I opted for the 1Ds over a cheaper 5D was for the servo. All the current single digit bodies have good servo performance, so I'm expecting the 6D will too. Assuming the sensor is also on par with current releases, it looks to be an upgrade from not just the 1Ds mk2, but the 5Dmk2 to me.

Better IQ, and adds usable super high ISO (compared to 1Ds mk2 and 5Dmk2)
    Better servo over the 5Dmk2, unknown vs. the 1Ds mk2. (It *can't* be worse than than the 5Dmk2, based on what everyone says about it.)
    Other extras over the 1Ds mk2 are a better screen, live view, movies, 20-something percent more pixels, a self cleaning sensor, and better controls (aside from the lack of portrait orientation controls).

I'm ignoring the GPS and Wifi. Don't these seems like decent enough improvements to reconsider my purchase?

Do you have CF Cards or SD or both? Buying new SD cards have to be taken into account for us already-xD-users.
    Build quality, sealing, AF, they're all going to be better on the 1Ds2. No word on AFMA, nor changeable focus screens, but i doubt the 6D will have either.
    Do you use Video? will you Geotag? (even if I did have a 6D, i'd turn geotagging Off, for privacy reasons, but that's me). Wifi is good for tethering to an iToy or tablet without USB, but otherwise i'm taking the card out into my usb3 reader.
    SuperHigh iso, ok the 6D probably will be better, probably better all-round IQ, at least at comparable print-sizes (that's the big unknown until review-time, but the 6D can't be worse than 5D2 or it won't sell. But neither will it be better than 5D3).
    And personally, an ungripped body is better (weight, and saves from needing to buy a new bag).

And how much did the 1Ds2 cost? I've seen them as low as $1100 on fleabay, the ones at $1600 don't even sell (condition dependent, of course). That and a nice lens or two >> 6D body (for me at least).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

It was an E+ rated body for $1399. An E was available for $1299. I figured, what's $100 more for a near perfect condition body. If I didn't need the servo I would have tried out fullframe on one of the 5Dmk1's for $650-$750 instead.

I have both types of cards, since we still have a T1i kicking around too. Besides, SD cards are dirt cheap compared to CF, especially in Canada.

We do occasionally use the video, but it's not a must since the 7D can do it.

Review time looks to be far off. Apparently we're expecting a December release, add in a week or two for Bryan to get the review done. Add in the fact that it's Christmas time, and it will be 2013 by the time we see a review. Perhaps that's what will save the 1Ds... it's 2 days away, and kind of a 10 year anniversary gift to ourselves (Better than flowers, or a necklace, don't you think?).

The sensor cleaning has me scared though.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 09-17-2012 at 04:06 AM. Reason: added more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Hmm. Will it have budget AI Servo performance? I can't imagine they'd cripple a 1 digit body too badly. This would be a more modern body to get over the 1Ds mk2 I just ordered. Potentially worthwhile for the extra resolution, extra ISO performance, self cleaning sensor, modern display, liveview, movies, etc.

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel, before they ship. When did buying things become so hard?!?
    I sold my 40D last week and figured I would get a 1Ds II off eBay. I was dissuaded from bidding on a 1Ds II recently after I read on the forums about Canon no longer supporting the 1Ds II after the end of the year.. From what I read it has a superb AF system and great IQ but the killer for me was their age and support worries.. I put a bid in on a very clean 5D classic with original box, etc. tonight for $750 and still didn't win.. ended at 821 believe it or not.. I am going to sit by the side lines for a bit and see where all this ends up.. you're right.. its a difficult decision..

I can't remember if it was on Adorama or B&H, but they had used 5D's for $650-$750 depending on condition. Less worry than a random EBay auction.

I wouldn't let sensor cleaning scare you off, my 7D needs it often enough and that's got the self-clean (although not as good as the new burping sensors in the 1Dx etc). I've gotten out the Visible Dust Wipes fairly often in the last few years (especially doing pinhole, that's how you see sensor dust the worst).

For that price, I reckon you got a bargain. And for the next however-many months until the 6D is actually released, just say to yourself "i wouldn't have gotten this shot if i'd waited"
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

And now it's official:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/profes...Specifications
    No touchscreen, despite the rumours.

Maybe its saving grace is that the AF is claimed to work at EV -3.0.
    That's better than 5D3, better than 1DX. Surely that can't be right? As long as the subject doesn't actually move then that may be enough.
    And it does have AFMA, the each-end of a zoom thingy the 1DX has too. So it's not a complete write-off of a camera, maybe when it drops to $1500 it might be worth a look.
    edit: and 2/3/5/7-frame bracketing. still not enough to justify the price.

Still, I'm sitting out of FF digital for now, the 7D stays, and i'm off to buy more Velvia.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 09-17-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    Gear Photos

So it seems that, and as Neuro said, my 7D won't become a 6D but rather a 5D III (or, who knows, a 1D X not to lose on the FPS). Still, I'll wait the end of the year but I don't see how I could give up the good things of the 7D for a 6D. Today, you can have the 5D III with the 24-105 (kit) for $ 3'655*. I hope the downhill trend continues until Christmas...

Edit: * here is Switzerland.

"Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be."

Oh well, I'll continue waiting for something from Canon with at least 28 nice and clean megapixels, just hope my 5D2 holds out long enough ;-)

Adorama had/has the 5dIII at $2,750 on flea bay - yep bought it. Glad I did. for incremental $650 comparing the 6d to 5dIII doesn't seem like much of a comparison?

AF differential is more than enough, not counting the myriad of other things the 5dIII does that the 6d simply doesn't - wifi and GPS is not that interesting to me.

I will stick by my thought that Canon should have dropped the price on the 5dIII a bit (Adorama sort of did this) say $2,500 and come out w/ a 3d with uber pixel count.

I think Adorama set the new price point for the 5dIII - the 6d becomes interesting when? I am sure that the 5dII at $1,400 seems to be a great offering if not discontinued it will still be hanging about, $600 to get the features of the 6d, then 600 to to the 5dIII. Seems like a 1/2 step.

These are my two pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Ok, I can't cancel my 1Ds mk2 before they ship. They've shipped it! Atleast that will give me a few days to figure out if I'm shipping it back.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911