Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 6D Announced (sort of)

Hi all, I've been reading through the replies on this post and have been a reader of this forum for quite some time now. Most of the post are by some serious photographers. In fact, looking through your pictures and tips and replies, I've learned quite a bit from you. There is an impressive level of experience on this site, much more than the average photographer. But when I step back and think of who Canon is targeting, I think someone said it right earlier...It's all the rebel series users.

I've been in the market of upgrading my Xsi to a FF for quite a while now. When the 5D MkIII came out, I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on it. Go big or go home was my attitude, but I had and still have a hard time with the price. I like all the features, but it has a lot that I would probably never use. I've gotten good with my current setup, have some L glass and really put effort into my pictures. Realistically, the majority of users of the canon DSLR aren't even to the low level that I'm at. I'm guessing there are more owners that have their camera cause it looks good, they are great for travel and being able to utilize different lense, and their buddies have them. Realistically, I bet some don't even know what mirror lock up is or white balance. They use the magic little green box selection on their setting selector. But now canon releases this cool new FF camera that has a super wow factor for a rebel user, similar to when the 60d came out. They can say that the average user can now photograph full frame just like the pro's, but not break the bank. Now this is the target audiance that Canon is after. And as much as a 5D mkIII would be great to have, I'm thinking I'm going to be content with a lower priced FF camera that I don't have to buy new memory cards for, that geo tags my travels for me, that isn't going to make me eat pb&j for months to pay for. Cut Canon some slack, I'm sure the first and second revisions of the 5d were initially looked down upon, but they actually turned out great once you got your hands on them.

i dunno, i was positively surprised this morning when i found out about this, but the more i think about it the less i like what canon did.
    they cant sell 6D priced the same as Nikon D600, its not on the same level, if anything D600 is much closer to 5Dmk3.

on the other hand they cant lower the price to 1500-1600 cause its gonna cost the same as 7D and hurt its sales... and lowering price of both models is unthinkable i presume

as someone who owns only one EF lens, if i had 2100$ i'd have no problem switching to nikon, and i bet most of the rebel/60D owners own mostly EF-s lenses
    i just dont see this selling with the current price tag, but then again, i'm no Canon's market expert

Many people talked about they need a 2k body when 5d iii came out, now it seems the 5d iii is the 2k body, hopefully the price will settle to around $2500 haha . Now we are talking about a entry level full frame rebel, the t4i is selling for about $800, how much more u willing to pay for a full frame folks?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jfindley View Post
    Hi all, I've been reading through the replies on this post and have been a reader of this forum for quite some time now. Most of the post are by some serious photographers. In fact, looking through your pictures and tips and replies, I've learned quite a bit from you. There is an impressive level of experience on this site, much more than the average photographer. But when I step back and think of who Canon is targeting, I think someone said it right earlier...It's all the rebel series users.

I've been in the market of upgrading my Xsi to a FF for quite a while now. When the 5D MkIII came out, I was nearly ready to pull the trigger on it. Go big or go home was my attitude, but I had and still have a hard time with the price. I like all the features, but it has a lot that I would probably never use. I've gotten good with my current setup, have some L glass and really put effort into my pictures. Realistically, the majority of users of the canon DSLR aren't even to the low level that I'm at. I'm guessing there are more owners that have their camera cause it looks good, they are great for travel and being able to utilize different lense, and their buddies have them. Realistically, I bet some don't even know what mirror lock up is or white balance. They use the magic little green box selection on their setting selector. But now canon releases this cool new FF camera that has a super wow factor for a rebel user, similar to when the 60d came out. They can say that the average user can now photograph full frame just like the pro's, but not break the bank. Now this is the target audiance that Canon is after. And as much as a 5D mkIII would be great to have, I'm thinking I'm going to be content with a lower priced FF camera that I don't have to buy new memory cards for, that geo tags my travels for me, that isn't going to make me eat pb&j for months to pay for. Cut Canon some slack, I'm sure the first and second revisions of the 5d were initially looked down upon, but they actually turned out great once you got your hands on them.
    This is very good perspective on the 6d. You are absolutely right that the active forum members here aren't really typical in the grand scheme. I follow your logic, especially considering the wifi and gps features. Do I need them? No. But I really want them.

There are 2 things, however, that I really don't understand at this point: the stripped down AF and the price point that matches Nikon.

For me, I don't think I could go from the 7d's 8fps and AF system to the 6d. But if I had a t2i or were new to the game, I'd probably choose the 6d over everything else. Unless of course the nikon looked like a better place to start.

This was not the next camera I was hoping to see from canon, and I agree it looks as though Nikon is making a better body in that price range... But I think it will sell well.

When I got my T2i it was for a couple reasons, I didn't want bottom line, and I couldn't really afford more, and didn't know how to use it anyway.
    I essentially used it as a point and shoot for more than a year, before taking an interest in learning what it can do.

I think the 6d will be perfect for people with disposable cash who want the ultimate point and shoot.
    I've been to many events (weddings, work functions) , and even a couple intro photo classes now, that people had a 7D or a full bodied something that they bought because " It costs $2500" it will take great pictures.

It is no doubt a decent camera, but I think it will be of more interest to people who never had a dslr... or those who just want the next new toy.

I'm not in the market for a $2000 body yet so canon won't loose a sale to me.. but IF I was .. I would have to seriously look at others on the market.

So....am I the only one that was surprised that no lenses were announced? I figured that at least the 200-400 would be officially announced. Of course, I was hoping for an update to the 100-400 L.

Oh well...I'll just keep shooting with my current kit.

For those wanting a $2k body, there's something very nice over at photorumors.com
    Hasselblad are going to announce something tomorrow (18th, but probably 18th in Europe, if not the US), most bets are a Digital XPAN, which should have a FF sensor in a mirrorless body. With any luck you can stick your EF lenses on a fancy adapter and use live-view-MF. Now that would be a very nice 2k body...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Those of you stating 'I'm the target market,' and shooting with a 7D - I disagree. Canon seems to be making a concerted effort to shift consumers up a segment. Take the 60D - those with a 40D or 50D were 'pushed' to the 7D as an upgrade, while the 60D was made attractive as an upgrade for Rebel/xxxD users. There are many features (or lack thereof) consistent with this, most obvious is the card media. I see the 5DIII as the FF body upgrade for 7D and 5DII, and the 6D as targeted to 60D and Rebel users.
    John:
    I think you are probably correct, but I think their logic may be flawed. The probelm with targeting Rebel users is that they packaged all those Rebels with EF-S lenses. If they want to upgrade to a FF camera, then they need to unload their EF-S glass and start over. If you are going to push people to start over in there lens collection, then you better have a camera that out performs the compitition or you will drive them to the compitition. The way I look at the spec's, and I if needed to start over with new glass, then I would seriously be looking at Nikon to get better DR, AF, resolution, etc..

In the past when they designed decent upgrades for Rebel users (10D, 20D, 40D, 50D, 60D), they could still use their EF-S lenes... so it was still cheaper to maintain the Canon loyalty. And over time they would get a collection of better glass and eventually head towards FF if it suited them. This route to get Rebel users to jump to FF seems a bit risky and may force to jump to Nikon instead.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

If you are a Rebel user looking to upgrade, and all you have is EF-S lenses do you make the decision to upgrade to a FF based on which body is better, the Nikon 600 or the new D6? I had not even owned a DSLR before I bought the 50D. My decision had little to do with the body, it was based on who had the best glass. I think people will buy the D6, those upgrading from Rebels as well as others regardless if all they have is EF-S lenses. If we pick our body based only by comparing one manufactures slight edge over the others, do we really fit in to what Canon calls the target customer for the D6, an "advance amateur".

I am an advance amateur, and I based my decision on the glass. I don't switch to Nikon for the better body because I would have to sell my glass, I don't switch to Nikon because I have better glass than Nikon offers. Of course I would consider the D800 with a few Zeiss primes.

Canon's lens releases in the last few years have been awesome.

Just the big lens, case in point Canon vs Nikon;
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 09-18-2012 at 01:11 AM.

That comparison hurt my eyes.