Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6D Announced (sort of)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6D Announced (sort of)

Edit, it's official: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_...01e0248065d8c4
    (but i can't change the title).
    Turns out there's no touchscreen (at least it wasn't mentioned in the press release, you'd think they would if there was one), but most of the rest of the specs look right.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/profes...Specifications

Well, it's the 17th for me, and it's being announced on the 17th.
    CR says Adorama accidentally let it get preordered yesterday.

So, with 20MP sensor (completely new, so must be on a cheap process, I wonder how good it is?), 11pt AF with f/2.8 centre cross (is this any better than the 5D2?), 'weather sealed' as far as whatever that blanket statement means, 4.5fps, SD card (is this what's so 'entry-level' about it? or is my investment in CF getting nails in its coffin?), and Builtin Wifi+GPS (as to all the arguments in past bodies about how they "can't do it because of radio laws being different around the world', that seems to have gone).
    Is this better then the 5D2? Looks about the same to me, at least on the specs that count.

So, let the speculation begin, as will the threads of "6D or 5D2?"
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 09-17-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    So, let the speculation begin, as will the threads of "6D or 5D2?"
    Possibly a 20mp sensor with the same technology as the 1D X?

Who is running Canon's marketing? They should have cleared the 5D II out of the supply chain before they released this body. If marketing was doing its job properly the only 6D vs 5D II threads we should be seeing are 6D vs used 5D II threads.

I expect they'll discontinue the 5DII at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I expect they'll discontinue the 5DII at this point.
    I think they already have. From what I hear the supply chain is drying up, possibly they will all be gone by the time this camera arrives.

But I would think that the marketing department would have gotten rid of all of the 5D II's before releasing a camera with a smaller sensor for more money than they are selling the 5D II for. By the rumored numbers the 5D II looks better, it will cost Canon quit a few pre-orders I am sure.

This camera is VERY unimpressive in my humble opinion and I think I'm pretty much their target market.

Canon's offering is completely non-competitive versus the D600. 6D = fail

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    This camera is VERY unimpressive in my humble opinion and I think I'm pretty much their target market.
    Dave
    I'm pretty much the target market too. APS-C user, 7D, wouldn't mind an FF upgrade, only 1 EF-s lens (15-85, although Sigma 8-16 probably counts too, easily sellable if i had to, or keep with 7D). Lots of cash invested in EF lenses (like 50/85/100/70-300L, the Samyang 35 counts too, and a lot of M42/OM lenses that aren't adaptable to nikon).

So I'm very underwhelmed by this too, i'd rather a decently used 5D2 and 24-105 for the same price, instead of a 6D body, especially if it means i don't need to 'upgrade' to SD cards too.

If I were serious about my FF photos on a budget, i'd definitely be considering D600. The money in Canon glass is definitely the main thing stopping me (besides, you know, mortgage and stuff), although the nice DPP workflow i've got going is hard to replace for me (on linux). Thankfully i've got my EOS 3, P6, and K60 to keep me busy with FF and 6x6 photos, i'm sitting this round out (unless I see a 1Ds2 under $1000, or a 5Dc under $500).
    New canon body? See you when the 5D4 or 6D2 come out...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post

Dave
    I think I am their target market as well. I have been purposely buying lenses that can be use on a FF (other than a Sigma 10-20 which would go when I get a FF), but unless the 6D ends up with great DR and high ISO performance (gapless pixels would be nice as well), then I cannot see why I would buy it over a proven 5D II (even used). However, I do not see why it would have good DR or high ISO performace and take a chance of pulling sales away from the 5D III.

Not to enthused yet, but I am still reserving giving up hope until I see how the sensor performs.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Hmm. Will it have budget AI Servo performance? I can't imagine they'd cripple a 1 digit body too badly. This would be a more modern body to get over the 1Ds mk2 I just ordered. Potentially worthwhile for the extra resolution, extra ISO performance, self cleaning sensor, modern display, liveview, movies, etc.

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel, before they ship. When did buying things become so hard?!?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Hmm. Will it have budget AI Servo performance? I can't imagine they'd cripple a 1 digit body too badly. This would be a more modern body to get over the 1Ds mk2 I just ordered. Potentially worthwhile for the extra resolution, extra ISO performance, self cleaning sensor, modern display, liveview, movies, etc.

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel, before they ship. When did buying things become so hard?!?
    I sold my 40D last week and figured I would get a 1Ds II off eBay. I was dissuaded from bidding on a 1Ds II recently after I read on the forums about Canon no longer supporting the 1Ds II after the end of the year.. From what I read it has a superb AF system and great IQ but the killer for me was their age and support worries.. I put a bid in on a very clean 5D classic with original box, etc. tonight for $750 and still didn't win.. ended at 821 believe it or not.. I am going to sit by the side lines for a bit and see where all this ends up.. you're right.. its a difficult decision..

Out of curiosity what do you guys hate about it? The price is identical. The 1.5 FPS difference? The 4MP? The extra AF points? All of it put together? Something else?