Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon 580EX II not working ...Wedding in a week!!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    LOL! I hope the experts bring some paramedics with them because I can feel my heart racing on this one!
    And yes, it does look darker inside the front of the flash head than the 430 does anyway.
    That's not good. So.., how was your weekend?

It doesn't look like I am going to be able to get this flash working and it will have to go into Canon for repair at some point. But thanks to a couple of offers from my friends here at TDP, I do have a savior mailing me a 580ex II to use for the wedding! So, I guess I won't be able to blame the bad photos on my flash not working!

Between Neuro sending me his 7d, backup cards and batteries and now another member sending me a flash and all the wisdom from Mark and others advising me on wedding photography, I cannot even express how grateful I am for everyone's help and generousity! You guys are awesome and I feel very blessed!

Now ...if I can only produce some great photos!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Denise

It doesn't look like I am going to be able to get this flash working and it will have to go into Canon for repair at some point. But thanks to a couple of offers from my friends here at TDP, I do have a savior mailing me a 580ex II to use for the wedding! So, I guess I won't be able to blame the bad photos on my flash not working!

Between Neuro sending me his 7d, backup cards and batteries and now another member sending me a flash and all the wisdom from Mark and others advising me on wedding photography, I cannot even express how grateful I am for everyone's help and generousity! You guys are awesome and I feel very blessed!

Now ...if I can only produce some great photos!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Denise
    What an amazing community. Seriously, I'm so impressed with the people who frequent this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    What an amazing community. Seriously, I'm so impressed with the people who frequent this forum.
    This is an amazing community indeed! Good luck Denise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    This is an amazing community indeed! Good luck Denise!!!
    Thank you, Jayson and thank you to everyone for all of your help!

I tend to stay away giving advise in all of the various threads posted here on TDP knowing there are so many more people here with a wealth of knowledge that would be able to provide so much more helpful advice than me.

But this is one thing I can advise on from experience. A photographer should never, ever contract to do a wedding unless you have a back-up for everything!! I never would have thought my flash would go out like this! Thank goodness it didn't happen on the day of!! Even though I do have two flashes, I again was wrong thinking I could do this with one photographer and one camera!

Learn from my mistakes and you are bound to go far!

Have a great weekend my friends!

Denise

I hesitated to intervene in your dilema, but now that you said it,
    You can take the word of a long time wedding photographer,
    Have a back up of everthing, even a back up photographer,
    We are our experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    I hesitated to intervene in your dilema, but now that you said it,
    You can take the word of a long time wedding photographer,
    Have a back up of everthing, even a back up photographer,
    We are our experiences.
    No, reason to hesitate. Being a wedding photographer is not an aspiration of mine. If it were, I would never go into it un-equipped to handle the job. I just never needed two of everything to take photos of my dogs, flowers or butterflies. In fact, I always had much more than what I needed to photograph them! If I were to ever ...and that is a huge EVER get talked into doing this again, I would most definitely figure into my price enough to rent what else I needed until I was able to make the purchases of extra equipment. Oh, and also enough to pay my daughter 3x what she is making on this gig because she swears she'll never be my wedding assistant again ...LOL!

I did the online repair quote on Canon's site and it came back with $183 to repair the speedlite. All it did was ask me date of purchase and serial #. It didn't even ask what the problem was so how accurate is that to what it will really cost. Granted, it is an estimate but even with estimates your usually asked what the problem is first.

Has anyone ever sent something in and it was less than the "esitmate" or much more?

Has anyone ever sent something in and it was less than the "esitmate" or much more?
    I doubt it would be less if that is the price they quote. That is probably what it cost them to Refurb one. They are out of stock now but a refurb 580 II is just $319, just $136 more. You could just buy a refurb 430 II for $192.

Granted, it is an estimate but even with estimates your usually asked what the problem is first.

Canon's estimates are fairly accurate. I beleive there is a "standard labor charge for repairing a speedlite (around $100-125)," plus the part and tax.