Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon 580EX II not working ...Wedding in a week!!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    Canon's estimates are fairly accurate. I beleive there is a "standard labor charge for repairing a speedlite (around $100-125)," plus the part and tax.
    Lovely ...now I can see why they make them so you can't take the front panel off and replace the bulb yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    They are out of stock now but a refurb 580 II is just $319, just $136 more.
    Funny how a year ago, I would have looked at it as just $319 ...now I look at it as the amount of a weekly unemployment check or the amount of my monthly car payment! The repair will just have to wait until I at least sell something that I need less than I need the flash. I still have my 430ex II for now.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was cheap, only that Canon is charging almost as much for a repair as they do a refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I didn't mean to make it sound like it was cheap, only that Canon is charging almost as much for a repair as they do a refurb.
    HA! No, I didn't mean to imply that was what you were implying ...LOL! I'm just saying that is how I looked at things and my how one year changed that! I did look at those and believe me I did think about for a split second and a year ago I would have jumped on it probably!! There is a guy on FM that buys broken gear, I could sell him my flash to make up for some of the cost.

EDIT (added afterthought): But then I think, but all mine probably needs is a dumb little bulb!

I am happy w/ the YN 565ex I think the only difference in function is the ability to be a master. I think you can get this for $150 ish.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    The tricky part of replacing the flash tube is finding a suitable replacement for the burnt out one. There are a few properties to them, other than size and shape, that matter as they need to be a match for the electronics that drive them. Canon may even have custom ones built for them just to prevent electronics guys from fixing them on the cheap with parts from Digi-Key or other part supply places.

In all honesty, I'd think you might be better off going with third party flashes as a replacement. I have and use Metz flashes, fully compatible with Canon E-TTL as slave and master with bonus of optical trigger built in, that cost considerably less. Parts and repair costs are lower, though I've yet to need either it was something I looked into before buying the first one. The brand recommended by 'The Strobist' are a lot less money as well. Not sure about cheap imports, though I do sometimes wonder what brand names they produce other than their own. The prices sure are a lot more attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I am happy w/ the YN 565ex I think the only difference in function is the ability to be a master. I think you can get this for $150 ish.
    Will any off brand function as the 580ex II does (did) as master w/ my 430ex II? Or, would I be better off selling the 430ex II and buying two non-Canon flashes that are compatible? I have never looked closely at other brands and do not know what makes/models are the best bang for my buck that will function for me like the 580ex II and 430ex II should. So, I am very open to any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Will any off brand function as the 580ex II does (did) as master w/ my 430ex II? Or, would I be better off selling the 430ex II and buying two non-Canon flashes that are compatible? I have never looked closely at other brands and do not know what makes/models are the best bang for my buck that will function for me like the 580ex II and 430ex II should. So, I am very open to any suggestions.
    Hi Denise,

Sorry to read about your 580 going kaput. Anyway, I own a YN 560 which is similar to the Canon's 580 and have been using it primarily as a slave flash and my main is the 580. The good thing about it is optically triggered. So if you want it to act as a slave. You can use your 430 as the master and the YN 560 as a slave. I think even the built-in flash can trigger this YN 560. It also cost way cheaper than the flagship flash.

Good luck in your upcoming wedding coverage and I'm glad to read that you're fellow photographer friends are here to help you out in any way they can.

Best regards.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Can these alternate flashes be triggered by the 7D's built in flash, or is that a Canon only feature?

Thanks for the info, jrw.

I will look into the Metz flashes before I do anything with the 580. Sad thing is, I just purchased a battery pack and a new omni-bounce last week for the 580 right before it broke.