Thread: Ring Flash gizmo

Alan

Ring Flash gizmo

I posted this question in the 430 EX II thread, but thought it might generate more response in a new post.

Take a look at this:

http://www.expoimaging.net/product-detail.php?cat_id=8&product_id=15&keywords =Ray_Flash:_The_Ring_Flash_Adapter

Whattya think about this? Anyone tried one of these, and do they produce red-eye?

Re: Ring Flash gizmo

I have one for my 580EXII.

It is good to have for interesting portraits. I hardly ever use it though. Macro guys will go nuts for it.

It makes for an a good fill light. Only problem is the 580EXII's IR signal gets blocked by the arm of this thing and rarely reaches slave flashes. I think white tape on the back side may help, I just haven't tried it yet. Oh and the focus assist beams will always be blocked too.

Since the rings distance from the camera is fixed, you need to use this on longer lenses. I can't use it on my 24 1.4L or my 50 1.4. The lenses are too short and I get bad ghosting and flair.

Oh and it creates some of the worst red-eye you will ever see.

one of the few shots I used it for. I didn't get red-eye here. 24 1.4 L, 400iso, f8.

Damn! I just went to the site. Early adopters really got screwed on these. I paid $300 for mine.

Would you and could you use this to replace the canon ring flashfor things like macro photography? Looks like it would be pretty useful for something like that. If you have used it, couldn't you possibly post a picture?

I've never used it for macro but I think it would be better than the macro flash. It will be a 580EXII power minus one stop and the the source around the lens.