Thread: Upgrade to the 60D???

Upgrade to the 60D???

So I saw the 60D (refurb) is only $640 from canon... I have had my 40D since 2008 and I have really wanted to upgrade but money has been the biggest hindrance. Initially I wanted to go with the 5D ii or now even the 6D, (whenever that happens) but I don't know if I will ever have that type of money. The question I am really asking is will I be kicking myself for getting the 60D? Is it enough of an upgrade that will make me feel like I am getting a much better camera than my 40D... I am aware that the 60D is not full frame like the 5D or 6D

I primarily shoot portraits, weddings and concerts...

Your input is appreciated.

thx

What do you think is the feature you need that the 40d lacks, or is it just age? If you're content with your lens now and how they perform, you'll prolly love the 60d for the right price.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I agree, is there something that you feel you are missing?

In the absence of that I can tell you that I own the 60d and really love it, but considering you are currently using a 40d I would probably to tell you to take advantage of the refurb 7d if you can stretch a bit further. A few things to consider;

The 60d uses SD cards, you you will have to factor the cost of new memory into the equation. The 7d lets you keep your exisiting format.
    You lose the mag alloy body. Although I find the 60d plenty sturdy, if that matters to you the 7d is a better choice.
    The 60d has the same focusing system as the 40d. The 7d would be an improvement. Given your primary subjects though this may not matter much.
    The frames per second is higher on the 7d, you lose a beat with the 60d versus your 40d.

Of course with the 60d you do get a better sensor with higher resolution and less noise, video, more advanced metering, and a handful of other gadgets like the vari angle lcd. I believe the weather sealing is also a bit better. The 7d does the same things (minus the vari angle lcd) but also adds an autofocus adjustment feature and additional sealing.

Patrick

I really like the newer proccesor, improved iso and the ability to control my flash wirelessly. I would be interested in the 7d but its so much more...

I just want to make a leap not a small step in upgrading.

To make a leap on a budget, you'll need to go used. A 1d3 is similar to a 7d in most ways, and with everyone going to the newer stuff, you might find a deal on either. Other than that, you'll be broke like me
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by metakephotos View Post
    I just want to make a leap not a small step in upgrading.
    IMHO, from the 40D to 60D is not a leap -- which you want. From 40D to 5Dx, now that's a leap for me but as you've said, which I find myself as well, is limited for cash to shell out then I guess it's gonna be only a step on the upgrade if you go the 40D to 60D way. BUT if you say you shoot portraits, weddings, and concerts.. the vari-angle LCD will be a nice upgrade and give you more creative shots.

My best wishes on your upgrade. I feel you.. I'm in the same boat as you are. If money wasn't a deciding factor I'm sure this would've been a piece of cake.

Cheers!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

With the 60D you would see “evolutionary” improvements in metering, resolution and noise suppression. The 63-zone matrix is actually so much better than the 35-zone matrix in earlier models, so calling that improvement “evolutionary” might be an understatement. For the weddings I shoot, I get a lot more keepers with my 60D than with my older 35-zone matrix metering bodies. Or put another way, you’d have to pony up for a 1DX to get a better metering system from Canon.

New features that the 60D has that the 40D does not are video and wireless flash capability. The video quality is incomparably better than anything I’ve ever used short of professional video equipment. I’m not a big video guy, but this camera has me experimenting. The range of wireless flash is limited but for most indoor shooting it is fantastic: faster, more reliable (no extra batteries needed!) and more convenient than messing with add-on radio triggers.

I don’t think you’d regret spending $640 for a 60D.

On it's way

Thanks for the advice everyone! Now on to selling my 40d!