Thread: Using 580EXII on 5D

Question Using 580EXII on 5D

I have just got hold of a 5DMK1 off ebay, great condition.

Now, I have used my 580EXII on my friends 5DMK1 before.

The problem is this, when in P mode on the camera, I change flash to manual mode, as soon as I do this on the 5D I just got it always sets Shutter speed to 200 and f22. I cannot change it.
    On my friends 5D, it didn't do this, it was at 60 and f4.
    Also, on my 50D it does this as well, lets you use flash in manual without changing to 200 22.

So, why on this 5D does is only let me use 200 22 when using flash in manual mode on P? It doesn't do this on 2 other camera I have tried! Am I missing a setting? I have looked all through the 5D menu & custom settings.

Totally confuddled....

You sure this is not a sync speed issue?

What is your ISO setting. Make sure you are using a low setting and try again. My guess is your ISO is too high for the full power of the flash in manual. Also try dialing the flash power down to 1/16. I have a 5DmkI. I have never used in P mode but do use Av mode quite often. If my ISO setting is too high and the flash is in manual the shutter speed will go to 200 which is the max flash sync speed and I end up with over exposure.
    Mark

Thanks for the response guys, tried all that and no difference even at high ISO.

I also noticed that with shutter priority mode on and flash in manual it sets the aperture to 22, no matter what shutter speed I select...

very strange how on the 50D it doesn't do this.

do not have a 5d however, on the 7d there are the flash controls in the camera menu and i wonder if something is setup in that menu system? if it exists. total shot in the dark as i don't even know if that exists on the 5d but i have left settings in there on my 7d and then come back a week later and didn't remember i had done them.

Just tried my 5D and my 1DnkIIn with flash in manual and camera in P mode. I get the same thing you do. 200 @ f22 or 250 @ f22 with the 1D. These two camera bodies both came out at the same time.
    I am not sure why you would want to operate in P with the flash in manual? I cannot imagine you getting a good exposure. If the flash is in manual the camera needs to be in manual.
    Mark

At least this isn't just me then!

I just got stuck in a way of using P mode on the 50D and then using the flash in manual, I used to use that for quick snaps where I would increase the flash power to increase exposure.

I will just start using Aperture mode more for that, which I should do anyway really!

Really strange how it is different on the two cameras though...