Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 100-400mm on a 7D, who uses it?

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums. I use the 7D and 100-400 L combo. I agree it works really well. Sometimes the AF isn't as fast as I would like, but it is still much faster than my other telephoto lens (an old 75-300).

A few recent pics from the combination:

Loon-7326 by kayaker72, on Flickr

HB-7412 by kayaker72, on Flickr

small-8036 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Thanks,
    Brant

Welcome to the forums, David!

Let me start off by saying that turkey shot is awesome! Very sharp!

I've used the combo for awhile now and think it is the best combo for the money! I started out with the 300mm f/4L IS and a 1.4 extender but have been happier with the 100-400mm.

A vast majority of my bird shots on flickr were taken with the 7d and 100-400mm combo and can be seen here ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dtrocio...7623646857233/

A few of my favs ...

Snowy Owl by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Killdeer by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Bald_Eagle by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Denise, your snowy owl shot is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    Denise, your snowy owl shot is stunning.
    Thank you! It was the first (and only) snowy owl I had ever seen! I am hoping he will be back this winter!!

Those are phenomenal shots Denise, nice gallery as well. I cannot wait to get my combo of the 7D and 100-400mm now that I have seen what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidWare View Post
    I am planning on upgrading my T3i to the 7D and this lens is at the top of my list of ones to purchase. I do a lot of birds and nature work and was wondering how well this performs on the 7D, as well as how well the autofocusing works, particularly the Servo.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
    Wow, I can't believe I missed this post---I do own and use a 7D with a 100-400 and it is my favorite combo when walking, hiking or just need a carry around rig. Like you, birds, wildlife and nature are my favorite subjects.

That said, this combo is capable of very nice shots, but can also leave you frustrated at times. Learn to use the IS the lens offers----when the opportunity allows, use manual focus, shoot above 1/800th and use a tripod if you can. I don't know what you are used to but moving in to the super-tele range requires practice and patience---but.......this combo can produce some incredible shots: here are some that I am proud of:

So as you can see from these shots and those that others have posted, this is a very capable combo---and highly recommended---Good luck.

Bob
    Bob

Great shot's Bob, I especially like the second one. Is it a road runner? I only saw a few while I was out in Cali, so I'm not too sure. The others are great as well.