Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 100-400mm on a 7D, who uses it?

Canon 100-400mm on a 7D, who uses it?

I am planning on upgrading my T3i to the 7D and this lens is at the top of my list of ones to purchase. I do a lot of birds and nature work and was wondering how well this performs on the 7D, as well as how well the autofocusing works, particularly the Servo.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

It performs really well. The 7D's AF is excellent, although the 5DIII and 1-series bodies are a bit better. For birds/wildlife, the 7D + 100-400mm is a great combo. Here's an example of focus tracking by the 7D+100-400:

EOS 7D, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM @ 400mm, 1/1600 s, f/6.3, ISO 1600

He took off from the bare tree in the blurred background, and AI Servo tracked him for about 16 shots at 8 fps, with probably 2 OOF shots in the series.

Most (but not all) of the images in the Birds set on Flickr are with the 7D + 100-400mm (relevant EXIF details are in the descriptions).

Hope that helps...

Wow. that's incredible. Now, to save up. First comes the 15-85mm so I can bundle the kit lens with my T3i when I sell it, then the 7D, and finally the 100-400mm.

Also, checked out your shots, they are fantastic, I especially love the "Birds Eye View" and the Cedar Waxwing.

That looks like a winning combo to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    That looks like a winning combo to me!
    Same here. I have been using my 55-250mm, but I have felt the need for more, I think this will do it. Here are some of my shots with that lens, nothing quite like as good as that Red Winged Blackbird, but it's all I got haha

Dave,

I'm really digging the 2nd and 4th one, nice work!

You also may want to try a portrait/vertical crop for the first one.

Rich

The reason it's cropped like that is because it's my desktop background right now, but I think I have a cropped one lying around, let me check. And much appreciated. The turkey I saw on a bikeride and I had my camera in my backpack so I snuck up on the guy. Got the shot just in time too, he flew off once he heard the shutter. And the one of the tern was very lucky, they are so fast and it was extremely hard trying to get an in focus shot of them, this guy hovered above me for a few moments allowing me to get him.

EDIT: Here's it cropped down, better?
    Last edited by DavidWare; 09-26-2012 at 03:19 AM.

I like the vertical better for this pose, but now I think it's a bit over-cropped, so you're losing some resolution.

Perhaps just take away some dead space from the right side of the frame of the original, or try for a milder vertical crop.

I hope that helps!

I see what you're saying now, I will keep that in mind for future shots, I'm not going to recrop and keep cluttering this thread with the same shot over and over.