Thread: Event Lighting

Event Lighting

I am photographing a conference next week and want to improve or kick up my lighting. Usually I would hit the presenters at a smallish panel session with on camera flash either bounced or using a Demb flash card. I am now thinking I want to quickly put a remote (nice new 600EX-RT) on a high stand, then move to the center or other side of the room and use some on-camera fill. Time will be crucial and I don’t want to fiddle with a modifier on the pole light, but I am worried it will be too harsh. I have a HONL traveller16 Softbox, but it is a pain to put on quickly. Thoughts?

Larry

Without any background info on the room your conference is taking place, it's hard to give specific advice. One thing to keep in mind is that even though you have a remote flash mounted on a light stand, that doesn't mean you have to point it at your subject. You can aim it at a corner of the room so that it bounces back as a larger light source; no need to set up a time consuming modifier Then you can use an on camera flash and bounce it for additional fill light to take away some contrast.

Thanks all. Unfortunately , I cannot get a look at the rooms in time to adjust my equipment. I am assuming the standard hotel meeting room with a spot on the head table and florescent lighting. I had planned to get the pole light as close as possible, and bouncing it is something I didn't think of. That will make white balance a nightmare, but I will play in Lightroom.

Larry

If the walls aren't white, then a bounce umbrella would do the trick. Additional equipment to carry, but easy to set up. If you're worried about white balance with ambient light, I gotta make like Dr. Scholl's and ask, Are you gellin'? Using gels is one of the easiest ways to reduce post processing time, if you aren't already doing it.

Yup, "I'm gelling." I will just have to experiment quickly. Thanks.

Larry