Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You who has ALREADY upgraded your 5D Mark II to the new 5D Mark III are you happy?

Question You who has ALREADY upgraded your 5D Mark II to the new 5D Mark III are you happy?

Hello you all who are, I hope, a happy owner of the new 5D Mark III upgrade!

May I please ask you if you by now are 100% convinced that you did the right investment in order to considerably improve your IQ?
    I am now in the midway of upgrade or WAIT for the rumored 46 MP Canon!
    Even thinking about the Canon 1DX!

(You might need to know that I have 7D and as my prime DSLR the 5D Mark II with the Canon Eg-S Super Precision Matte Focusing Screen that helps when I do manually focusing with some of my lenses.)

Thank you so very much in advance - all who wish to give me some spontaneous thoughts of your experiences of using 5D Mark III compared to your use of 5D Mark II!

Wishing you all a wonderful fall with many good opportunities for great shoots!

//Charl
    Last edited by ZoeEnPhos; 09-28-2012 at 04:22 PM.

I can't answer your question...but I can tell you that I have no regrets whatsoever that I upgraded my 5D Mark II all the way to a 1D X (and I also have a 7D, although honestly, it doesn't see much use now).

I am absolutely happy with my 5DIII, though I wouldn't say IQ is considerably improved (except in very low light). The big difference is the autofocus. I loved my 5DII, but got tired of using only the middle af point (the others were not satisfactory IMO). I remember thinking that my dream camera would be a 5DII with a 7D af, and the 5DIII has gone far beyond that. I am 100% satisfied.

I did consider the 1DX, but I really don't need it. I just wanted a full frame camera with a decent af, and the 5DIII more than satisfies.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I can't answer your question...but I can tell you that I have no regrets whatsoever that I upgraded my 5D Mark II all the way to a 1D X (and I also have a 7D, although honestly, it doesn't see much use now).
    Its going to be heavily used this weekend isnt it?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Its going to be heavily used this weekend isnt it?
    Yes, I bet it is...

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Absolutely worth it to me!! Used to have 5D2 for stills, 7D for sports coverage. 5D3 gave me the FF resolution I wanted with AF that blows 7D out of the water. Sold 2 pairs of 5D2 and 7D to get two 5D3's with a bit left over that went into the 600 flashes I picked up as well which adds yet another level of improvement over the other bodies. Occasionally I do miss the crop factor of the 7D but I definitely do not miss its noise levels.

Although I cover a lot of sports events in a professional capacity I don't find myself desiring a higher number of frames per second and seldom use burst mode. The 5D3 is plenty fast enough for my needs. Mind you I did start out using film with manual advance so may be more practiced at timing the moment of capture.
    Thank you sir for this answer!
    I am glad to hear and wish you all success in using your brand new 5DMK3!

Here in Europe I saw today that the price also has dropped a bit and yes I prefer full frame camera and yes the crop-factor I also can miss sometimes - however it is not entirely impossible to crop from a full frame .CR2-full-size-file if you are using excellent lenses to your full frame camera, and still get quite reasonable IQ for example for photos of BIF!

Wishing you a very good week-end!

//Charl

I am very pleased with the 5dIII

PROS
    autofocus is outstanding
    low light is outstanding
    allows full use of 600 EX RT (specifically groups can be set seperately)
    custom functions

The 5DIII beats the 5DII in everything. I agree with some of the points made above, that AF speed, flexibility and accuracy, combined with a much improved low light performance are the key differentiators. I still have a 7D, which I have kept for those cases when distance is a real issue, but I rarely use it now. Because of the improved AF and the excellent resolution, you can crop the 5DIII images and get excellent results. With the 5DII I limited those crops to images with still or slow moving objects.
    I have some issues with AWB though, which makes shooting in JPEG a no-go for me (easily fixed in Lightroom from RAW, so not much of a problem really).
    For various reasons I also upgraded my 1DMkIV to a 1DX, but 6 frames/sec. on the 5DIII is (almost) sufficient for most of my action photography (soccer and birds in flight), so I am actually not sure if that upgrade was necessary, even though both AF speed and accuracy and low light performance are a couple of notches better on the 1DX.
    A nice feature on the 5DIII is the silent mode. For weddings and other events, including wildlife, where you want to be as quite as possible, that feature has real value.
    For me the upgrade to the 5DIII is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarhau View Post
    The 5DIII beats the 5DII in everything.
    Not in IQ. Not in price.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    i am thinking about doing the same move too my only concern is i mainly take landscape photos shall i go with 5DIII or 1D X ? if i go with 5DIII i will have more money to spend on lenses... if only 1 DX had some more pixels....