Thread: Backpack for hiking, snow, and airports that fits a laptop, hiking equiment & misc

Backpack for hiking, snow, and airports that fits a laptop, hiking equiment & misc

Hi all, I'm going on a 6 week long trip and I would like to minimize the amount of gear I want to take as I'm allowed one suitcase and two cary ons. I'm looking for a bag that I can take through airports but at the same time am able to take it snowshoeing on a 10 km hike that includes two bodies, 4 to 5 lenses, filters, batteries, my tripod, and some hiking equipment as well. I've looked at the Manfrotto Velcoe V bag and the lowepro flipside.

What are your recommendation.

p.s. my budget is $150-$200 USD

I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 and the Flipside 400AW. For your gear list, I think the 400 AW would work well.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 and the Flipside 400AW. For your gear list, I think the 400 AW would work well.
    I thought this particular model (400AW) does not fit a laptop

Quote Originally Posted by dassouki View Post
    I thought this particular model (400AW) does not fit a laptop
    It doesn't. But then...you didn't initially indicate that you needed to pack a laptop as well.

Sorry about that, I included in the title but forgot to include it in the post. Good point though

Oops...that's what I get for not reading the full thread title...

Sounds like the Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW may be one to consider, although it exceeds your stated budget. I think finding a bag that holds a laptop, 2 bodies, 4-5 lenses, and other stuff that costs under $200 is going to be a real challenge.

I just got back from my Alaska trip. I took my Lowepro Fastpack 350 loaded with:
    5D w/grip
    1DmkIIn
    17-40
    24-105
    Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC
    50 f1.4
    filters/cards/batteries/charges
    laptop
    I did not take a tripod. This backpack does not have provisions for it but may not be too hard to modify.
    I carried it on the plane fitting it overhead. I put it on the scale and it was 38lbs.
    It was a bit tight with all the lenses but I made it work. I feel it was a good investment of $140.
    Here is a link to just a few of my 1,500 shots.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    I just got back from my Alaska trip. I took my Lowepro Fastpack 350 loaded with:
    5D w/grip
    1DmkIIn
    17-40
    24-105
    Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC
    50 f1.4
    filters/cards/batteries/charges
    laptop
    I did not take a tripod. This backpack does not have provisions for it but may not be too hard to modify.
    I carried it on the plane fitting it overhead. I put it on the scale and it was 38lbs.
    It was a bit tight with all the lenses but I made it work. I feel it was a good investment of $140.
    Here is a link to just a few of my 1,500 shots.
    That looks like an awesome bag. Mind if I ask you what did you use for clothing? I bought a few thermal seal shirts geared for -30 C. What did you use for gloves, socks and shoes?

That looks like an awesome bag. Mind if I ask you what did you use for clothing? I bought a few thermal seal shirts geared for -30 C. What did you use for gloves, socks and shoes?
    I guess I gave the wrong impression. I am not as adventurouse as you. This was an Alaskan cruise. I went on excursions from the ship. The farthest north we went was Skagway, AK. It was cold but did not need gloves. We did some hiking and I even did a zip-line in Ketchikan, AK in the rain forest with the backpack on and my 1D around my neck. Lots of fun.
    Mark

I'm looking for a bag that I can take through airports but at the same time am able to take it snowshoeing on a 10 km hike that includes two bodies, 4 to 5 lenses, filters, batteries, my tripod, and some hiking equipment as well.
    p.s. my budget is $150-$200 USD
    A couple of other things to consider since you're going to snowshoe with the pack; I think it's a good idea to get an adventure camera backpack, that has ample space for food, clothes, hydration, and other gear. Also make sure that it has a good waist belt. I couldn't tell if the Manfrotto bag that you were looking at had one. A hydration pouch is also a nice feature. Sometimes a laptop compartment can also be used as a hydration compartment if you buy the hydration bag separately.

Two companies that come to mind are Clik Elite and F-stop gear. However, the f-stop gear is probably out of your budget.
    The Clik Elite doesn't have a laptop sleeve, however it may fit in the main compartment. A Laptop holder is a nice feature especially in the airport, but remember that you won't be hiking with your laptop. I have a Clik Elite ProBody Sport backpack that I use for Biking, then coupled with a chest carrier for Skiing.

Here's a couple of recommendations: (They are less expensive at B&H).
    Check out the videos on the links.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/venture-35/ ($203 at B&H)

http://www.clikelite.com/products/contrejour-35/
    Blue $268 at B&H last years color. Newer black model is $305, a bit out of your range.

One advantage of the clik elite, is that you can shoot out of it. You can also buy a chest pack for it and have your main camera in front of you.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/probody-slr-chest-carrier/

They also make a standard size DSLR chest carrier.

If you wanted to put one lens and body in a chest carrier, then the Obscura would be another option. With the chest pack on you sort of lose the shoot out feature of the backpack, but then you'll just shoot out of the chest pack instead.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/obscura/

The loka is expensive, but I'm not sure if the Guru is large enough?

http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/loka

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 09-29-2012 at 12:54 AM.