View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joel Eade

5 16.13%
  • Conropl

7 22.58%
  • Ham

14 45.16%
  • Raid

3 9.68%
  • CLS

2 6.45%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #42 - Test of Time (Congrats Ham)

Tower of London

Mark - Flickr

I might have interpreted the theme a little too much to my imagination, so if it doesn't fit the assignment just ignore it.
    I don't have a newly shot photo, nor does it show old people. Well it does, but not in their old days. They are my grandparents. I tried to color up their wedding-images from over 50 years ago. They are happily married for 53 years now.

This is my entry:

My grandparents by Jan Paalman, on Flickr

Link to the original and a small explanation of the process.
    Last edited by Sheiky; 10-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Well, my work and the weather have conspired against me getting any new shots, so I'm afraid I'll have to resort to the archive like a few others.

This is a shot of the mountain Suilven, which is formed from Torridonian sandstone that is 1.2 billion years old according to radiometric dating. Furthermore, the paler grey bedrock in the middle distance is Lewisian gneiss which is at least 2.7 billion years old. I climbed it twenty years ago and I can tell you it's as steep as it looks. It has certainly stood the test of time better than I have.

Suilven by Andrew Stringer, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    Nice one, Ham.
    Just seen this. Thanks very much.

All, I have been very impressed with the quality and interpretation of the submissions. I have wanted to comment on many of them but figured that would be inappropriate since I will be asked to pick the top 4 or 5. That said, all of you have made the judging very difficult---Thanks alot and good luck. There is still time to get your shots in. Good luck to all,

Bob
    Bob

Well, if you don't mind me putting in one that's a month or two old, i've just thought of a really good shot that I could be putting in (even if it doesn't fit my original intention of 'old and rusty'). it's hard when my computer is living at a different house to me (which will finally be remedied on the weekend I hope, and then the adsl gets hooked up next monday)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Well, if you don't mind me putting in one that's a month or two old, i've just thought of a really good shot that I could be putting in (even if it doesn't fit my original intention of 'old and rusty'). it's hard when my computer is living at a different house to me (which will finally be remedied on the weekend I hope, and then the adsl gets hooked up next monday)
    Dr. C, Please submit, the more the merrier.
    Bob

OK, well once again the photo gods have conspired against me (or maybe it's my own doing, wasted enough time last night before getting to this), but I managed to at least get one usable photo out of the lot (with apologies to Andy for stealing his geological idea).

This is in the Hallet Cove Conservation Park, about 15km south of the centre of Adelaide (it used to be surrounded by farmland when I was a kid, now it's bang in the middle of suburbia), this particular one is called the Sugarloaf for obvious reasons (well, they were obvious reasons 100 years ago, but who gets sugar in a loaf these days?)
    There's bits of the park that are 600 Million Years old, some bits are 250 myo, this particular formation came out from underneath the last glacier 12,000 years ago and has eroded into this shape since. This whole park (it's actually fairly small, 15 mins walk end to end) is pretty much a Geologist's wet dream, it's the first stop on the Geology Tourbus that everyone does in first-year uni (both for my friends who did it recently, and my Mum who did the same tour 50 years ago when she was at uni).

So, it's not a nice old rusty building like I was originally intending, but here's my Sugarloaf instead:

(And the original intention when I took these was to compare 7D vs Velvia, I still haven't finished the roll of Velvia. Then I started mucking around with grad NDs and took a heap of brackets to HDR, but no time to get a good HDR, so this one is a single-shot)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Originally I wanted to photograph stone walls for this assignment, but those shots aren't really coming out as I would like. So, this was taken at "Castle in the Clouds" this past weekend, which is a turn of the century "arts and crafts" style mansion built in the lakes region of New Hampshire.

small-9772 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Staying with the "wide" open nature of this assignment, the test of time is the beauty of the view framed by a historic building just as intended 100 years ago. Work with me, the shots of the stone walls really didn't work out

Thanks for viewing...Brant

This Old House - - - Bodie, California

I think this shot better fits the theme of this assignment, but since it's an old one I can't count it.

[img]
    This Old House. Bodie, California by ernogy, on Flickr[/img]