View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joel Eade

5 16.13%
  • Conropl

7 22.58%
  • Ham

14 45.16%
  • Raid

3 9.68%
  • CLS

2 6.45%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #42 - Test of Time (Congrats Ham)

#42 - Test of Time (Congrats Ham)

On behalf of Bob Williams, this is assignment 42: Test of Time

This is a wide open assignment left to the photographers imagination. It could be anything from a portrait of an old man, an old tractor sitting in a field, an old house, old ruins or anything that says "I have stood the test of time"--Basically, anything old. Any processing method or treatment such as HDR, black and white, etc is acceptable I would like this to be new shots rather than ones pulled from archives.

The following photos have been chosen as finalists:

Name: Joel Eade
    Motivation: The quality and style of the HDR work was very impressive---Detail in each brick, the trees, and the cemetery is quite impressive. The image of the old cathedral overlooking the cemetery surely indicates that it has survived the test of time.

Name: Conropl
    Motivation: Love the long exposure image of the falls while maintaining perfect exposure and detail in the rest of the frame. It is very clear that the kettle formation took place over thousands of years and that these falls have not only survived but have grown unique with the test of time.

Name: Ham
    Motivation: This is an incredible shot. Everything about it just worked. The composition, exposure and post work are top notch. This shot is so dramatic and moving you can just see the wisdom in his face and the pain in his old bones. This fellow has certainly endured the test of time.

Name: Raid
    Motivation: The subject and the rarity of the subject is what makes this shot so special. You can just see the age in this old guy and you know he has been around a long time. Seeing this photo left me wondering just how much those dark yet crystal clear eyes have seen.

Name:
    CLS
    Motivation: Another fantastic HDR of an incredibly old building, Framing, exposure and post work are excellent and Details were well captured. The colors in the brick, shingles and surrounding trees and plants are very clear and vibrant yet still indicate the dark past this church as probably seen. I also Agree, the fellow on the bench just adds that little spot of interest to the photo. Almost 900 years old, I would say this little church has seen the test of time.

Honorable Mention: Sheiky: Grandparents
    I absolutely love this portrait and the colorization work is excellent. This shot certainly meets the intent of the theme. But, I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that Jan didn't actually take the original photo. So, as much as I wanted too, I couldn't include it in the Judging. But very nice work none-the-less.
    • The poll will be opened for 3 days, please vote.
    Last edited by Sheiky; 10-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Typical. I've got the best idea in my head for a photo for the assignment, I plan exactly what to bring (in my head, while I'm at work), I get home, pack the camera bag, walk the 500m out the back door down the hill, and when I get there the light's gone.
    Oh well, better luck next time, probably the weekend.

But anyway, the reason I was late home was because I was picking up a film that got developed. Coincidentally last week I chucked in a roll of B+W, screwed on the Yellow filter and went down past the Port where there's lots of nice old buildings and things (even more coincidentally, I was inspired to do that by people talking of going to shoot an old prison, I like the look of weathered old architecture a lot too).

So for now my entry is this one, these two look like they've certainly passed their test of time (although I'm not sure if they're very much in working order anymore):

I've just spent the last hour or two on it, trying to USM the sharpness back in that the scanner took out, and simultaneously blur out the grain, but I can't get rid of those circles and the '8' printed all over the film (cheap chinese film, for $2 a roll I thought it was worth a try). Maybe i'll have to go back past the Port on the way home again one day and shoot this again with the digital).

And there's no point shooting Medium Format without pixel-peeping, so here's an 800x800 crop of the original 7000x7000 (49MP) scan.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 10-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

This definitely is an example of surviving the test of time. Construction of The Cathedral of St. Andrews began in the year 1158.

Too bad it's an image I took last year so it may not qualify for all the assignment criteria.

Shot this week. Maybe a streatch for the assignment, but this is a picture of something that not only holds up to time, but even gets better with time. The waterfall below is called "The Kettles" because of the perfectly round holes in the rock that forms the falls (my daughter calls it the puzzle waterfall). Over time the eddies in the river current would swirl rocks and sand in a pocket in the rocks, and over time the swirling sand and rocks would bore these holes into the rocks. So it not only passed the test of time, but time has also enhansed the falls.

Autumn at the Kettles Waterfall-0638 by westmichigan, on Flickr
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

WOW, Great submissions so far, I can already see that judging is going to be a difficult task.

Conrad, Those waterfalls certainly meet the intent of the of the assignment---

Joel, I re-read the rules
    I would like this to be new shots rather than ones pulled from archives
    So it looks more like a request rather than a strict rule. So for the moment, we will leave it included unless are any objections.
    Bob

Shot this today in Chesterfield with the little X10. Think it fits the brief on at least a couple of levels, but it'd be cheating to tell you why!

larger here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...81205039223778
    Last edited by ham; 10-16-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Nice one, Ham.

Finally have something for the assignments...

40 years of marriage.

The late Lonesome George the Galapagos Tortoise died this year aged over 100 years old, he was known as the rarest creature in the world being the only member of his sub-species alive.

Canon EOS 7D, 70-300L @ 300mm, f10, 1/250, ISO400.

Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Three Oak Knoll

I would have to guess that these three oak trees sitting atop this knoll are 100 yrs old, maybe more. This image was made near Folsom, Ca on October 5, 2012. In the gold rush days, the Pony Express ran through this area, as downtown Folsom is located a mere 10 miles away. The California Gold Rush began in 1849 about 30 miles away from this very spot. Perhaps these old oaks were even around during that historic era.

Canon 7D | ISO 100 | f/11 | 0.4 sec | ultrawide angle lens | 3-stop reverse GND

PS: If somebody knows how to convert this to the proper viewing size for this website, much obliged. Thanks, Erno

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ernogy/...ream/lightbox/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oaks.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	1456
    Last edited by erno james; 10-08-2012 at 06:58 PM.