Thread: 5D II Viewfinder Dark Area!

5D II Viewfinder Dark Area!

Hi everyone

I have a question regarding the 5D Mark II. I just got mine this morning and I notice that when looking through the viewfinder I saw there is a circular area (75% of the viewfinder) that is slightly darker than the four corners. The affect is more pronounce when I mounted the camera on my 500mm f/4L IS. Thanks

I have never noticed such a thing with my 5D II and 500mm.
    Is it like vignette in the corners? You said the corners were brighter if I read right.
    Did you do a dioptric adjustment yet to make sure it is tuned in?

I would be happy to mount mine up and see if it does what you say if you describe it in more detail.

Yes you read it right, the corners are brighter. I have the same affect when mounted the body on my 70-200 f/2.8, but the affect is more visible when mounting on my 500, maybe because of an f/4 lens? Basically there is a circular area that is about 75% of the viewfinder and this erea is slightly darker than the 4 corners. I did not notice it at all when I mounted it on my f/2.8 zooms, but when I put it on my 500 the affect is a bit more, enough for you to notice. All images come out normal.

I just mounted up the 5D II on the 500mm.
    The focus screen on the 5D II does have one of those textured surface that you can barely make out and this may be what you are seeing. However it isn't substantially darker but noticeable if you are looking for it on my 500mm. It is obvious that it is part of the focus screen. It does take up about 75% but I would guess a bit less.

Next idea, one of my 5D II's had a dirty mirror when I bought it new. You should take the lens off and check to see if the mirror has any discoloration on it. Mine had like a grayish dust mist on it that wiped right off and made a world of difference.

EDIT; I wonder if the focus screen itself is dirty? I have never changed one but maybe this is possible?
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-04-2012 at 12:51 AM.

You're correct HD the area isn't substantially darker, but noticeable. What I found out is that the area is more noticeable as the focal length becomes longer. I could not see it with my 24-70, start to notice it with my 70-200 @200 and very noticeable on the 500. Thank you for the tip on dirty focusing screen, I checked mine and it was clean.

The area is circular and noticeable on the 500mm. I had the 24mm on and couldn't see it at all. But, on the 500mm it appears as a round texture area and clear.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-04-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks HD for putting the effort in checking.

I ‘ve never seen this in my 5DII with the 300 f/4 and two different focusing screens (standard and EG-S). In fact, corners are slightly darker (I’ve never noticed until now).

If the mirror and the viewfinder are clean, the only thing left to check easily is the focusing screen. Here you can see how to detach it with the tool included in a spare focusing screen.