Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best HDR Photo

Re: Post Your Best HDR Photo

My workflow is way too dependent on the shoot. Exterior, Landscape, Interior, etc... Honestly it would take me way too long to detail why I use certain apps for certain shots. In short though...

Raw through ACR and I "DO" make adjustments here. Export to 16 bit TIFFs and off to one of two tonemappers. If I am doing landscapes and want that extra pop in saturation then I use Photomatix. But for more photo real looking images I ONLY use Essentials HDR.

Essentials HDR is hands down the most realistic looking tonemapping app as of today. I couldn't do what I do without it. It takes me a fraction of the time in Essentials HDR than it does farting around with sliders in Photomatix to get a more realistic image.

And Essentials has a "Fast Toner" and a "Details" version. You can actually switch between the two on the fly. And you can view images "two up" either horizontally or vertically and make changes to each to toy with looks. This is a huge benefit to me because it really speeds up my workflow.

The Details Enhancer though is insane. It creates a micro contrast in a different way than photomatix and the resulting images out of Essentials HDR are wicked sharp, whereas I always need to sharpen up stuff out of Photomatix.

Once I export out a tonemapped image I then take it back to Photoshop for detail work and other tweaks.

Essentials HDR is here:

http://www.imagingluminary.com/

-Michael James

Alan

Michael, thanks for that link.

I'll guess spending money never ends with photography!

Okay....I'm going in! What's another 50 bucks, eh?

Alan

Ain't that the truth!!! There is always that "one more thing" needed.

Anyway... it is well worth the money. The best spent $50+ bucks IMO.

I really need to do a video screencapture of that to show why I love it. It is pretty easy to use too. Very different than photomatix in sliders. Of course, like usual... I'd like to frankenstein the two and take what I like in photomatix and add it to Essential HDR or vice versa!

Michael James

Could I slip-in a few of newbie questions?

I've seen a couple of references to something called "detail enhancer". Is this some feature within CS4 or a separate software utility?

I've also seen the term "ACR" and wondered what that acronym means?

What do you folks think about the "Topaz Labs" products ("Adjust", "DeNoise", etc) for this kind of creative work? I downloaded the trial of both Adjust and DeNoise and played with them on some of my photos in CS3. They kind of appear to so some of the same things that Photomatix does without having to use 3 or more photos/exposures.

http://www.topazlabs.com/

Rick

Here is one of my first attempt, although I don't know if it can be called HDR since its all done from one file. ACR, CS3, 40D, EF 17-40

This is my very first attempt at an HDR image. No tripod, poor light, very very cold and no gloves. Using a 40d and the cheap and cheerful ef-s 17-85.

Does anyone have any tips on taking night shots with HDR?[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.40/n517624388_5F00_1410472_5F00_886.jpg[/img]

Alan

Rick, ACR means Adobe Camera Raw.

The "details enhancer" is one of the ways a HDR image can be processed in what is called the tone mapping process. The details enhancer brings out more details, hence, the enhancer....

Al

A true HDR is multiple exposed shots. And the purists will correct me further, but I don't care. I'm not going for a PHD in this stuff. And even though technically does not fall in the definition of a tonemapped HDRI... it is STUNNING nonetheless. Love it!

Michael James

that post of mine was to rgravel

Thanks Michael. Nice of you to comment []