Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best HDR Photo

Re: Post Your Best HDR Photo

I will check out the link that you provided. Thanks again for your time and effort with your replies.

Your pictures are fabulous and inspire me to try out HDR.

I was turned on to Trey Ratcliff by D-Town TV. He is an HDR GURU and has has a free tutorial on Photomatix Pro which he endorses. I am still in the prehistoric ages when it comes to PP and use DPP. Can you use the Photomatrix software with this program or would I need to invest in Photoshop? Any other suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks,

Brett
    Brett

A couple of weeks ago, I climbed Mt Marcy (highest point in New York) at
    night to watch the sunrise. Here are some of the HDR results:

You certainly can Brett, in fact Photomatix suggests processing from JPGs, which makes things easy. You just want to output your varied exposure images as JPG files from DPP and then open them up in Photomatix and let it work its magic.

Those of you who dabble in HDR and are curious about the different software available, might be interested in this:

http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/the-weekly-photo-august-29-2011/

This is where I live. I'm not Australian but I think this is a pretty cool place to live.

WOW that
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Here's another one from this set

William those are both great shots mate. I particularly like the tones in the second image.

One thing I
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hmm...I'm not sure what happened there Ben. I'm thinking it was actually something to do with the noise software. I had it on full strength and it can do some strange things sometimes when it gets confused about what's supposed to be noise and what's supposed to be detail. That little black blob at the end of the bridge is a tree. Here the software recognised this as a detail area and the white hand rails in this zone were left with detail but on either side they got a bit blurred (you have to zoom in to %100 to see this). Similarly there's something funky going on between those pylons as you've noticed. See how they are blurry in between, that's not right, there should be detail in there. And I think it is the noise software that did this. If it was the HDR software then I'd expect halos around the trees on the horizon, around the white hand rails and around the nearest grass clump in the foreground. I'm not emphatic about this, you could be right.

Personally I find halos really displeasing, any tips to remove them are very welcome. I like your suggestion and will definitely give this a go - thanks!

It's good to show these images to people with such a keen eye and some helpful knowledge on ways to improve. Your feedback is invaluable because it helps everyone, not just the person who took the shot.