Thread: 650D/T4i preliminary review - Increased sharpness

650D/T4i preliminary review - Increased sharpness

Interesting note about the increased sharpness Bryan....maybe it is DPP that causes the "extra" sharpness issue? I saw this mentioned at DPR.

I compared some raw files that I downloaded from Imaging-Resource and it seems like the 650D is much sharper than other Canon cameras. I have not tried to open them in ACR though. If they do not have the similar sharpness in ACR it could be DPP that is adding more sharpness than ususal? Maybe Canon is about making the camera more consumer friendly and that is why they are cranking up the sharpness?

DPR mentioned that the JPEG`s were almost identical to the raw files when opened in DPP. Is this something new? A few years ago, after Raw Image Task ( RIT ) was abandoned people was complaining that raw`s in DPP had a different color rendition than the JPEG's and that they did not longer match the in-camera JPEG. Canon responded by saying that DPP had "its own processing". Has this changed again?

Looking forward to the full review. :-)
    Last edited by Johnny Rasmussen; 10-06-2012 at 10:25 PM.

I'd also be very interested to see how the in-sensor Phase-AF works (and how fast), but mostly if it has any noticeable effect on IQ. Obviously some pixel real estate is being taken up to put in the sensors, i'd like to know how many and if it's noticeable (ie, I'm presuming they just do some kind of interpolation-algorithm to make up the missing detail, will that lose detail? Probably depends on how many pixels are sacrificed for phase-AF, if it's one isolated or if there's blocks of 10 or 20 missing in one place?).
    Anyway, can't wait for the rest of it.

ps, typo: in the 'file size table' the first two lines are T3i, I presume one is meant to be the 650D (whatever that is over there, t4i?)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos