Thread: Ultra wide angle lens for trip to Antarctica

Ultra wide angle lens for trip to Antarctica

Hi all,

I hope to gain people’s opinions and perspective on the type of ultra wide lens to take on a trip to Antarctica. I am currently looking at either the Canon 8-15mm f/4 and the 17-40 f/4, which will be mounted on either a 5D Mark II or III as I am currently looking to either of these bodies (haven’t decided yet). My general purpose lens is the 24-105 lens, which is currently running on my 450d.

Does anyone have any advice as I am a keen landscape photographer.

Thanks in advance.

Amit

Antarctica is a trip of a lifetime, so you need to get this right.

The 8-15 and 17-40 are two totally different lenses. If you want an ultra wide angle zoom lens, go with the 17-40mm.

If you specifically want the distorted fisheye effect on all your wide angle shots, go with the 8-15mm. I trust you realise that you will lose the corners of your images when shooting with this lens on a full frame camera at any focal length except 15mm. At 8mm you will get a circular image with a 180º field of view. Whilst it might be interesting to try this on a few shots, I think you will regret being unable to take normal rectilinear photos if the 8-15mm is your only ultrawide lens. Note that you can't use a polarising filter on the 8-15mm lens and it may be difficult to protect the convex front element in the Antarctic weather.

The 8-15mm is ideal when you want to give emphasis to a nearby subject whilst including a lot of background, but if your subject is the landscape itself I think it will be easier to compose a shot in the 17-40mm range, or even longer focal lengths. An iceberg viewed from a ship will become a spec on the horizon at 15mm or wider.

I'll share some statistics from my Antarctic trip in 2009. I took four lenses and here's a breakdown of how often they got used:

17-40 f/4: 7%
    24-105 f/4: 19%
    70-200 f/2.8: 23%
    100-400 f/4.5-5.6: 51%

You can see some examples in my flickr set. Check out the focal lengths (click on name of the camera to the right of each image to see the data). You may find yourself wanting advice on telephoto lenses instead of wide angles.

A wide angle is a must for Antarctica.

There was journalist on my trip with 2 5D's around her neck (she only really spoke Russian). She had a EF 24-105L and an EF 100-400L, she regretted not bringing a wide lens.

The only thing I would do differently would be to take a Top Quality CP filter (the best you can get), just to see what difference it would make.

Here was my trip.

http://community.the-digital-picture...ll=1#post63457

PS: The sky is stunning down there.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Hello Amit!

I had some plans also to visit Antarctica and the South Georgia.
    I would of course wish to first have the full frame DSLR.

I have the EF 8-15mm fisheye which is very light and small to have with you on the trip. However remember that the angle of view is as best for FF @ about 14mm of focal lengt in the "tele-end" of this lens AND you need to hold it absolutely in spirit-level in order to NOT have your landscape lines curved.
    I use a spirit-level on the flash-shoe.
    I think I could either take my EF14mm f/2.8L II (rather fast and have auto-focus) or my TS-E 17mm f/4L but on these harsh conditions of weather I would still prefer not a manually handled wide-angle lens such as TS-E with cold fingers and salt-water-waves breaking in to the Zodiac boats.

I think a 70-200mm f/2.8L II with both new Extenders could make a good job.
    Also the new EF300mm f/2.8L II with the Extenders will be handheld and give you extraordinary IQ of wildlife and also landscapes from the boat and BIF!
    I think the EF16-35 II would also be quite versatility lens or the new EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II with better weather sealing and flourine shielded surfaces as also the new fish-eye have and the EF300 f/2.8L.

So in the end - please consider WHAT you wish to capture mostly - the dramatic landscapes and skyscapes or mostly the birds and wildlife? For landscapes you need really wide-angel lenses - yes the 17-40 sounds good but what if there is low-light conditions and you might need the EF16-35 2.8L II?
    The fish-eye can be versatile BUT it can also be a bit too much if you use it for plenty of photos - you might need two bodies - one FF equipped with wide-angle and the other with tele-lens like 70-200mm.
    Think about that you need rather mobility and to be fast moving on land when you stay just for a short time in different places and then hand held with good IS is to prefer as well as a fast lens!

In the end YOU have to decide WHAT is the MOST IMPORTANT memories you wish to bring home with you after a life-time-memorable trip to Antarctica!
    What ever you choose - your photos will be stunning!
    Wishing you all the very best and wonderful travel to the true wilderness and the almost much un-known and a bit hidden and unique continent of Antarctica!

//Charl