Hi,
I'm new to this site. I recently was out on a hike and brought some gear with me. I had unpacked some lenses from the pelican case and set aside the 85mm. Afterward I got into my truck (forgetting to pack everything back up) and drove off to get some coffee. When i got there I opened the door and out rolled the lens. Although it was in the pouch, it fell on the corner of the front element and broke the filter. After cursing myself, I inspected the front element and it seemed fine, I installed the lens on my camera and it seemed to focus easily. I removed all the broken glass and sent it off to CPS to remove the filter ring and inspect it for damage.

After $300 they sent the lens back with the twisted metal ring they tore from the lens and no mention of any tests done. I got a new filter, clean ended the lens and took a few sample shots for inspection. It seemed fine. Then I took a few random shots of distant objects an apple tree, some farm equipment (not too distant, about 100-200 yds) and the results were soft focus.

My questions are:

Should I send it back to CPS and ask that they do what I originally asked them to do and pay another $300 minimum?

What test could I do (and compare) to be sure it is out of tolerance? The sample shot I did was at f4 1/1250 so shake is out and being stopped down it should have been good but I could not find any sharpness.

Any advice would be welcome.