Thread: 85 1.2l ii

85 1.2l ii

Hi,
    I'm new to this site. I recently was out on a hike and brought some gear with me. I had unpacked some lenses from the pelican case and set aside the 85mm. Afterward I got into my truck (forgetting to pack everything back up) and drove off to get some coffee. When i got there I opened the door and out rolled the lens. Although it was in the pouch, it fell on the corner of the front element and broke the filter. After cursing myself, I inspected the front element and it seemed fine, I installed the lens on my camera and it seemed to focus easily. I removed all the broken glass and sent it off to CPS to remove the filter ring and inspect it for damage.

After $300 they sent the lens back with the twisted metal ring they tore from the lens and no mention of any tests done. I got a new filter, clean ended the lens and took a few sample shots for inspection. It seemed fine. Then I took a few random shots of distant objects an apple tree, some farm equipment (not too distant, about 100-200 yds) and the results were soft focus.

My questions are:

Should I send it back to CPS and ask that they do what I originally asked them to do and pay another $300 minimum?

What test could I do (and compare) to be sure it is out of tolerance? The sample shot I did was at f4 1/1250 so shake is out and being stopped down it should have been good but I could not find any sharpness.

Any advice would be welcome.
    Jim

Welcome Jim!

I think that since you already took some shots and you feel that the sharpness is not there, then you should send it back to Canon for further adjustments.
    I would call CPS first and see what was actually done and let them know that the lens is soft and not performing well. They should not charge you again if it was not fixed properly. They're usually very good at making a bad situation right, however sometimes they don't get it right the first time.

You should absolutely not have to pay to have it fixed again and you should insist on that if they give you a hard time.

Good Luck,
    Rich

Thanks Rich, I spent some time today taking sample shots and the lens is very inconsistent in focus even in close range but mostly in longer range and infinity shots where it is not in focus at all. I have had limited experience with CPS all of which was very positive but this repair was a dissapointment. I will call CPS tomorrow and see if they can help me and get the lens back to performing as it should. Thanks for the reply.
    Jim