Thread: Do I need to send my lens in for service?

Do I need to send my lens in for service?

Hi All,

Haven't posted here in a while but I need some input. I've got a 70-200L IS f/4.0 lens that I've used the heck out of. This weekend I noticed something odd. When I'd tilt my camera it felt like something was shifting weight inside the lens. It was similar to the feel of the gyros when the IS is on but it was turned off (and even when my camera power switch was off I could feel it).

The lens seemed to take decent pictures with or without IS on (and the IS still made a noticeable improvement). Do you all think it's something I need to send off repair or is it something I can ignore so long as the AF works and the lens still take sharp pictures.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    As the lens functions flawlessly it isn't something I intend to get too worried about.
    I think jrw is right.

In four Canon lenses (with and without IS) I can hear a slight sound when I tilted them, that can be described as "shifting weight". The more focal length, the more noticeable is the sound. As in a manual focus lens I've checked there is no sound, I guess there must be something related to the autofocus system.
    Last edited by Agilulfo; 10-10-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Thanks all-

It's weird that after 30k shots with this lens that it's decided to rattle. I'll keep an eye on it but I think so long as the IS and AF work properly I won't worry about it.