Thread: Storage - No such thing as too much.

Storage - No such thing as too much.

I went to the UK last month with two 32GB CF cards and two 16GB cards. I figured that would be plenty. Not so much. The last night I got caught out with no more space and had the Tower Bridge all to myself. Luckily I had been dumping content to my laptop daily and backing up to an external, so I was able to format a CF card and use it. But I really wanted to keep 3 copies of all my images until I got home (CF, laptop, external).

Guess I need to buy more cards before the next trip.
    Mark - Flickr

If you have a laptop to transfer images, a USB flash/thumb drive is a lot cheaper than a similarly-sized CF card. When I want to China, I took a set of three 64 GB thumb drives to supplement my HDD with external backup copies.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    If you have a laptop to transfer images, a USB flash/thumb drive is a lot cheaper than a similarly-sized CF card. When I want to China, I took a set of three 64 GB thumb drives to supplement my HDD with external backup copies.
    Good point.

We went on our second Alaska cruise this summer. We dumped memory cards to my laptop, and filled the 85GB it had open. We then began filling the >140GB of memory cards we had; thankfully those ended up with less than 85GB on them. We rented a 1Dx for the trip, and thankfully I tried it a few days before we left and discovered that Lightroom 2.x can't read the newest RAW images, so we shot JPEG on that camera. I'm quite afraid of our storage needs had that camera been shooting RAW...

I am OK w/ two copies. One on the Laptop and one on the 1TB external USB drive - I haven't amassed more than 64g in a day yet. When the external gets full, then I know I will be in a lot of trouble. I also get pretty quick w/ the "this pic isn't going to make it" FYI, I have a friend w/ the Nikon d800 and he moans about storage even louder.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911