Thread: 5D MkIII auto white balance problem

5D MkIII auto white balance problem

In general I am very happy with my 5DIII. It is a big leap over the 5DII in every department. But there is one area where I`m constantly disappointed, which is AWB when the main color is green, especially in forests. I know this is challenging conditions, but still.
    Very often/most cases, I get a too cold result, with bluish colors. Typically the AWB ends on around 4200-4500K, when a more correct result should have been 5200-5500K. Have anyone else experienced the same problem?

Canon's AWB isn't great except in bright sunlight. Fortunately, as long as you're shooting RAW, it's not a big concern.

Another thing you can do is take along a note pad, and jot down the preferred white balance for each setting. Then, do a custom white balance for that scene.

If you find that the 5200-5500K is best for the forest, set your custom white balance with that. Otherwise, if shooting RAW, as John said, just fix it later.

Thanks for the interest and insight.
    Yes, there are work-arounds. I always shoot in RAW, so the post processing in Lightroom works. But sometimes on events, where you run in and out, with very different white balance conditions, and a requirement to send off images fast, I must use jpegs right off the camera. The solution in those cases has become to use the new 1DX instead of the 5DIII, which has much less of a problem with AWB.