Page 26 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Here is a picture I just took with my new 70-200 f4.0 L and my 40D

f/4, 1/200 sec, ISO-500, -1.7 step, focal length 200 mm

Please let me know what you think.

http://benandmolly.com
    5DIII (x2) | 6D | 24mm f/1.4L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-105mm f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM (x3) | 65mm MP-E f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.2L II USM | 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Prayharder: Good effort. I see that it's a fire, but it's almost abstract art (in a good way). I don't know if it would be better this way, butpushing the ISO a bit so you can getbetter depth of field might be interesting, too.

Fire can be hard to photograph because you're trying to capture a single moment of something that dances and changes so fast. It can behard to capture the primal emotion you feel around a live firewithin a static photo, not to mention the sound, the heat, and the smells. I have the same problem shooting fireworks. I can getgreat exposures, but something is missing. The emotional impact just isn't there.Usually, it helps to have people in the photo reacting in wonder.

For your fire, a little wider shot that shows some context, such as campers gathered around or the devastation of a forest fire, might help the viewerfeel more drawn & connected to the image.

Yeah, I was going for abstract...and for the coal's to be the focal point...

That is a good idea to push the ISO for a greater depth of field...

This is true that there isn't anything connecting it...I was wanting a bunch of red-hot coals...the fire wasn't big enough for that.

thanks !

http://benandmolly.com
    5DIII (x2) | 6D | 24mm f/1.4L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-105mm f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM (x3) | 65mm MP-E f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.2L II USM | 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Prayharder: That's great--so long as you know I liked it. I enjoy taking "texture" shots to use a backgrounds in desktop publishing and PowerPoint presentations. Your fire photo is cool by itself, but it would also be cool as a background image. I'm always shooting leaves, grass, clouds, sand, walls, pavement, river stones, etc. for that purpose (and for fun). -John O

Speaking of background shots for desktop publishing, I took thisshot of sunlight passing through Japanese maple against a shadowed wall.40D with24-105L at 73mm, ISO 200, f/5.6.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.83/IMG_5F00_0094.jpg[/img]

prayharder, I see you and I think alike with fire shots... here's one of mine from last year:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.23/IMG_5F00_2557.jpg[/img]

30D, 70-200 2.8 @ 200mm, f2.8 and 1/50, ISO 100

Me too!

Well, i didn't do nearly as well capturing the embers. The photo doesn't nearly capture the feeling of the fire, but... it was fun taking it []

That's cool!

It was really hot too! If I didn't have the camera in front of my face, it would have hurt after a couple seconds. After the fact, I wondered if it was wise to put my camera that close []

If I was doing it all over, I would have just put on the 16-35, opened up the angle, stopped down to about f/8, and done a quick in/out. I was trying to get a sense of envelopment, but I don't think 35mm, even full frame, was quite wide enough. Then again, the proximity required fora 16mm shot might have been damaging to the camera or me.

Colin:

You might try a piece of window glass. There are special types of glass made that reflect or absorb infrared radiation (heat), but even ordinary glass will absorb some heat--that's how greenhouses work. Then, use a fan to blow air on your side of the glass to cool the glass and camera. If I have a chance, I'll get a piece of glass and try it with a burner on my electric stove.

George Slusher
    Lt Col, USAF (Ret)
    Eugene, OR