Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
but this Mallard would not get close so I did a landscape shot with the 300mm 2.8 and the 1.4 TC...

Actually Joel, I like this shot---It has a tranquil feel to it.

Which reminds me---I have a little story that us nature photogs (and probably others) can appreciate----This is also a little teaser for Joel.

This last Saturday, Norma (my wife) and I decided to go to the Bosque del Apache on on a whim (3:00 pm). By the time we got there, it was 5:15pm with onlyabout anhour of light left. Well, we started our slow trek trek arounda 12 mile loop keeping a watchfull eye for the birds and wildlife. During that hour, we came upon several deer, canadian geese, snow geese, lots of ducks, pheasant, a few sandies, coyotes, hawks, and one very rude tourist and his family (i have evidence)---Now, I didn't get pics of all of the wildlife that we saw, but here are a few not-so-good shots of some of the wildlife and the very rude tourist.

Her is one that isn't great, but I really liked the light---the sun was just out of frame and there was a haze in the air (probably dust from the rude tourist)

and one of a Canadian strutting his stuff

and one that had potential---but the effort was short lived

As I said---Short lived, because a rude tourist failed to respect the fact that I was leaning over the hood of my truck with a big white lens trying to work a shot of this herd of deer and decided to blow past me at about 30 MPH.........and this isthe rest of the story:

To explain: most people who go to the Bosque del Apache, go there to observe or photograph wildlife and as such are normally very polite and very patient and willing to wait if they see someone stopped in the middle of the road looking at or photographing wildlife---But occasionally you have to deal with people like this. Needless to say, my time with the buck mule deer was short lived.