Page 56 of 148 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Re: Post Your Best Nature Shots!

Nate,

That lens is just magical! I'm assuming the bird was very close to your location. Was it almost at the MFD? Of course you did a great job perfectly exposing the shot. That lens has been on my wish list for a long time. Maybe this next spring... Are you hand holding it or do you have a Gimbal style head mounted on a tripod?

Fred~

Hi Fred,

the birdwas about 20' from me, I handhold this lens and currently don't own a tripod/gimbal head. The 500 f/4 is very handholdable.

Nate,

That is a beautiful picture.

Cheers!

Dev

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W

Wickerprints;

Nice captures of the HB.

I've tried a few captures w/a flash, but I wash out their eye and need to do quite a bit of PSing to bring the eye back.

What do you do to avoid over exposing the eye with "catch light"?

40D, 100-400 IS are what I use and sometimes the 580EX ll.

Regards

Bill
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks! All I can say about the use of flash in the hummingbird pics is that you can't use ETTL...it has to be manual. Depending on your ambient lighting conditions, you have to adjust your exposure and ISO accordingly. I've found 1/8 to 1/4 power on the flash works in my situation, but if your ambient light is low (e.g., very early or late in the day), then you may use even less flash power. I underexpose the background by about 1 stop, but again, you just have to play with it.

The recipe:
    1. Use manual mode and meter your scene. Set the exposure about 1 - 1.5 stops under, shutter speed around 1/200s.
    2. Set flash power to 1/4 in manual mode.
    3. Test it out. If you are using a feeder to lure the hummingbirds, review the image to make sure you're not overexposing the foreground by too much, no more than 0.5 stops or so. If you are, dial down the flash power accordingly.
    4. Also check the background exposure. It should be a bit dark but not black. If it is darker than you would like, set the exposure brighter by opening up the aperture or increasing ISO, in that order of preference. Don't slow the shutter speed too much because then you will blur the hummingbird.
    5. Here is a key secret. Place your feeder in the shade, and position your camera so that the background is brightly lit. That is, try to deliberately create a backlit situation. What this will do is increase your reliance of proper exposure of the bird on your flash. This will enable you to freeze motion. Also, if you can, get your flash off your camera.
    6. Experiment!

Shot this on the way back from a morning meeting. There were seven of the boys laying along the fence line at 11:30 taking a noon time nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Hi Fred,

the birdwas about 20' from me, I handhold this lens and currently don't own a tripod/gimbal head. The 500 f/4 is very handholdable.
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]

Did you crop your picture? I assuming that you didn't.

Your making me look bad with that lens....[]

Yes I did crop it, this is about 75% of the original.

Some Butterfly pictures taken in Haga Park Stockholm with my G10. Second one taken with the built in flash firing on 1/4 power. Thanks for looking :-)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.84/IMG_5F00_0764.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.84/IMG_5F00_0769.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.84/IMG_5F00_0772.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.84/IMG_5F00_0776.jpg[/img]

40D, 300mm 2.8L + 1.4x extender, f6.3, 1/200 sec., [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/IMG_5F00_1534.jpg[/img]iso320

Beautiful Joel!

Good work!!

-Rodger