Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24-70mm f/2.8L II ISO added

24-70mm f/2.8L II ISO added

Brian added some ISO's it appears from 4 lenses.
    The note says sample 1 is the new set but those ISO's do not look very good. (Edit; I should say "very good in comparison to what I was expecting")

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=3205

Is sample 1 the latest lens?

From all the hype I was expecting better IQ.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 10-16-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    From all the hype I was expecting better IQ.
    For all the money, too. I'm keeping my version I. I'll just increase the sharpening on the photos. It'll save several hundred dollars, and fend off any buyer's remorse.

Did Roger get the only consistently sharp copies of all people who do tests/reviews? That would be too bad, the first reports sounded very promising.
    Arnt

It looks pretty good to me at 24mm. Less impressive at the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    It looks pretty good to me at 24mm. Less impressive at the other end.
    Yes it does look good. But we had visions of it being as good as the 24mm f/1.4L, and its not.
    On the long end we had visions of it being as good as the 70-200mm f/2.8 at 70mm, and its not.

Overall it is a big improvement on the old version. I just need to compare to see if it will be an improvement over my 16-35mm II because for me that is the lens it will be replacing.

My take is that "1" and "2" were the previous copies. Lens sample "3" and "4" are Bryan's replacements.

3 and 4 seem much improved over 1 and 2 to me. Comparing them to the 70-200 f/2.8 II, I would say that the 70-200 still owns the crown as the sharpest zoom, but it is getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    My take is that "1" and "2" were the previous copies. Lens sample "3" and "4" are Bryan's replacements.

3 and 4 seem much improved over 1 and 2 to me. Comparing them to the 70-200 f/2.8 II, I would say that the 70-200 still owns the crown as the sharpest zoom, but it is getting close.
    That was my question. The news release said #1 was the new properly tuned lens. It does not appear so.

I was hoping Bryan would clarify.

Hi Everyone,

After having four of these lenses, I think that the lens listed as Sample 1 is what we should expect from the new 24-70 L II. This is one of the new lenses, but I moved it to the Sample 1 position because this is what the tool shows by default for a lens. The real first and second lenses are listed as Sample 2 and 3. The other new lens is listed as Sample 4. Sorry about the confusion this creates.

While not a "perfect" lens, I'm loving the 24-70 L II. It has very impressive sharpness and contrast wide open and into the corners. It has been working very well for the landscape shooting I've been doing.

I'm hoping to do some outdoor comparison testing with other lenses before completing part II of that review. That of course requires a clear sky and my schedule to align. The former has not happened much here recently.

Just send four copies over here to Australia Bryan, I'll do some outdoor comparisons for you
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    Just send four copies over here to Australia Bryan, I'll do some outdoor comparisons for you
    Or just the best copy he found. That is the one I need to test.

Thanks for the clarification Bryan.