Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered Spyder 4 Elite on TDP's reccomendation; used TDP link

Just ordered Spyder 4 Elite on TDP's reccomendation; used TDP link

Hoping this will solve a big, big aggravation of mine, namely that what I get back from print lab is not quite right compared to my monitor. Since I went with Bryan's review and appreciated it, I made sure to go through the TDP site so he gets the support of the merchant.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Who is your print lab?

We have been using Walgreen's. Just this week I ordered a photobook from Shutterfly. I don't have it yet. That is what made me worry; did I blow $50 on an album with bad prints?
    I see Shutterfly has a process for generally synching your monitor to their printing. I don't thing Walgreen's does.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

This is sort of off the topic just a bit, but what are some of the print labs that do well?

I found that Walgreen's prints are muddy and dark, even when I tell them to turn off the auto correct.

Walmart does a much better job, but they still are a bit darker than what my monitor shows (Spyder calibrated). The histograms look good, but I ran an experiment where I increased the brightness by +50 (photoshop), then sent both prints to Walmart. The brightness enhanced photo looked much better, but the histogram showed blown highlights (I just ignored that, and sent the prints in anyway).

I've just ordered some prints from Shuttterfly, and sent two sets: one without added brightness, one with it. I also told them to turn off their "vivid" correction.

I'll see what happens.

Anyway, back to my question: who does a good job of printing?

I've been impressed with prints from adoramapix and mpix. Snapfish is ok, and typically very cheap. I've also had good luck with Kits/Ritz/Wolfe camera (whatever name they are going by in your part of the country). I don't really care for the prints I get from Walgreens or CVS.

I don't print a lot, and in fact only lately have I ordered many at all. On my photo book I checked "yes" the box in Lightroom about "sharpening for prints" for the first time. Hopefully that makes things better rather than worse. Also wonder exactly what the Shutterfly "vivid" will do to me. I didin't even see an option for "added brightness".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    We have been using Walgreen's. Just this week I ordered a photobook from Shutterfly. I don't have it yet. That is what made me worry; did I blow $50 on an album with bad prints?
    I see Shutterfly has a process for generally synching your monitor to their printing. I don't thing Walgreen's does.
    I think we've hit the nail on the head here. First of all, Walgreen's applies an auto-correction routine to images sent to its lab. They generally do not tell you about this. Typically speaking, their correction routine will bump up contrast significantly and change the overall color of your images. If you want the prints closer to what you're seeing at home, you need to ask them to turn off all auto corrections or auto enhancements when doing the prints.

To see what kind of a difference it makes, try walking into the Walgreen's and asking for 1 image to be processed both ways--auto correct on and auto correct off. The difference will probably be very noticeable.

If the images are processed without corrections (as-is), then there's another reason why they appear dark compared to the monitor. Keep in mind that your monitor is back-lit. Everything image seems brighter on a back-lit screen than the same image viewed on a flat, reflective surface. At least that's what I've always attributed it to...

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Anyway, back to my question: who does a good job of printing?
    Personally, I use AdoramaPix. I'm a huge fan of their Kodak Metallic paper. I've always been very satisfied with prints done through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    I don't print a lot, and in fact only lately have I ordered many at all. On my photo book I checked "yes" the box in Lightroom about "sharpening for prints" for the first time. Hopefully that makes things better rather than worse. Also wonder exactly what the Shutterfly "vivid" will do to me. I didin't even see an option for "added brightness".
    Scott, that added brightness....I put that on the photo before I send it to Shutterfly, or whoever. It's not a option with Shutterfly. But, if you click on each photo (while in Shutterfly) it will allow you to edit the photo, and then it will let you choose to shut off their auto-correct.

Well, my very first Shutterfly order arrived today. Interestingly, the images that I bumped up the brightness on? They looked washed out, just like on my monitor.

The ones I left alone? They looked great. Color, contrast, highlights where they were supposed to be.

As I mentioned, I purposely turned off the "vivid" correction on all images.

Shutterfly is now on my top list. Next up, Adoramapix. I'll run the same experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Well, my very first Shutterfly order arrived today. Interestingly, the images that I bumped up the brightness on? They looked washed out, just like on my monitor.

The ones I left alone? They looked great. Color, contrast, highlights where they were supposed to be.

As I mentioned, I purposely turned off the "vivid" correction on all images.

Shutterfly is now on my top list. Next up, Adoramapix. I'll run the same experiment.
    Sounds good, but I believe you had already calibrated your monitor? I hope my photo book arrives from Shutterfly looking OK (neither muddy nor over-saturated) for my Dad's 80th birthday.