Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Choice of the New Version II of Canon Super-Tele-Lenses EF500mm f/4L vs EF600mm?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Ok, here's a shot with the combo:

Attachment 1516
    EOS 1D X, EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM + EF 2x III Extender, 1/320 s, f/8, ISO 4000

Here's a 100% crop of the above:

Attachment 1517
    Thanks for sharing. That looks encouraging - fairly smooth noise in the 100% too at ISO 4000. Maybe I do need to 1DX. I think I'll set the 600 up next w/e w the 2XIII and see what I think - will have to struggle to focus, but I'm curious now. Hope to see some more samples!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	500_2XIII_lowres.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	1519
    Here's a shot w the 500 II + the 2XIII, f8, 1/500, ISO 400 using live view w the 5DMKII. I'm sure I haven't processed it the best way for an objective comparison - still learning the post capture processing - too many years making cibachromes....

I haven't looked at the second sample of the 600 II untill now but at 1200mm it is a little sharper, at 800mm vs 840mm the 600mm II is ever so slightly better in the mid frame but has worst control of CA and ever so slightly softer in the center at corners. I guess how much you don't like CA will dictate your favor for one or the other. The first sample is quite a bit worst than the second sample at 1200mm, so I guess there is some sample variation in this lens?

To me the main difference is not IQ, as there are both very compatible, but in AF speed with converters and having 1600mm with the 800mm+2X combo (although not everyone cares for that). If there is not a big difference in AF speed or actually better for the 600mm II then there is only one thing going for the 800mm is it's longer focal length with the 2X, that may not be enough for many people.

Over all the 600mm II seems to be a fantastic lens!

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 11-01-2012 at 03:53 AM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I'd say it's a judgement call depending on arm strength. The 500 MkI was considered a handholdable birding lens suitable for BIF. The 600 II weighs essentially the same as the 500 I. But, the 500 II is almost 2 lbs lighter.

Speaking personally, I can hike with the 600 II, handhold it, and shoot BIF with it. I do hang a monopod from my belt, in case I'll be standing somewhere for a long time, but usually I move and shoot, move and shoot, and the monopod stays on my belt. I'm not a 'jock', I don't lift weights per se, but the weight of the lens is supported by the left arm, and my left arm has spent the last few years carrying one of my daughters (now 24 and 33 lbs.) for fairly long stretches of time.

If you can go somewhere and set up on a tripod with a gimbal, the weight of the lens is less of a concern. Still, I'd pick the 600/4 II over the 800/5.6. Check out Bryan's ISO 12233 charts. The bare 600 II is noticeably sharper than the bare 800. The 600 II + 1.4x III gives 840mm f/5.6 that's still slightly sharper than the 800, and is 40mm longer and a bit lighter to carry. The 600 II + 2x III is slightly sharper than the 800 + 1.4x III, and both combos will AF on a 1DIV or 1D X with the new firmware. So...I'm not sure I see the point of the 800/5.6 , now.

I had planned on a 500mm lens, but I'm loving my 600 II...
    Hello and big THANK you Neuroanatomist!
    I really really appreciate your answer even brought from real-life-experiences with the phenomenal 1DX with also fantastic lens EF600 II from Canon!
    Yes I think there is good possibilities to handle the new EF600 II with or without a good monopod! Yes I might also need to add a good Gimbal head to my Gitzo tripod.
    Of course there is this 2 lbs lighter factor as benefit using EF500 II however with fullframe DSLR it seems to be right to choose the longer focal lenght of EF600 II!

Thanks again for the valuable advice Neuroanatomist!
    (I do really appreciate your good input and also reading your nice and clear language, that I enjoy to read - being not a native English language speaker!)

Wishing you Neuroanatomist and of course to your whole family; your wife and daughters (still 24 and 33 lbs. ?:-)) all the very Best and well being and happy shootings with your eminent photographic equipement from Canon!
    Charl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DQ0R0600.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	1599

Here is a 100% crop from a shot w the 600 f4 II + 2XIII at 1/800, f 8, ISO 1600 w the 1DX. I find the IQ more than just adequate (I processed w sharpness left at 3) and maybe better than I expected from the ISO chart of this lens. Of course, this is from the center of the frame where the resolution of the lens is highest. AF with the firmware update on the 1DX and this lens combo is quite good too - helps a lot to limit the focus range based on anticipated distance to subjects though - in this case, ca. 4.5-16m.

I'm now happier w the 600 choice since the performance with the 1DX + 2XIII seems very good. Being able to access 1200mm w AF and useable IQ is worth the extra pounds versus the 500mm for me.