Thread: 7D problem.

7D problem.

I have had a issue whit my 7D since last week (thats when I noticed the problem). The problem is that i can't switch the aperture from the back wheel (have seth the wheel on the back for aperture and the wheel next to the shutter to shutter speed). The wheel works for everything beside switching the aperture. I have made checked the custom functions (operation and others 1) and the back wheel is for signed for AV. My 7D is two years old and this is the first time theres problem whit the functions.

I have also noticed problems whit my 70-200 F4 is after upgrading to the new firmware 2.0.3 -> the problem is that the camera an lens combination works fine in AF/servo (it's spot on) mode but when i change to ONE SHOT mode it's just out of focus (and now AFMA helps). I have micro adjusted the AF after upgrading my firmware and noticed that i had to change the settings on some lenses (400 f5,6 before upgrade 0 -> after upgrade +5). But whit the 70-200 there's a big different if i take a picture of a static object in SERVO or ONE SHOT and in favour for the SERVO.

I know it's kind of a hassle, but have to tried to reset to factory specs and then change the settings you prefer.
    I'm still running an old version number, so I can't confirm or deny what is possible in the afma category.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKKE View Post
    I have had a issue whit my 7D since last week (thats when I noticed the problem). The problem is that i can't switch the aperture from the back wheel (have seth the wheel on the back for aperture and the wheel next to the shutter to shutter speed). The wheel works for everything beside switching the aperture.

Is it possible that you have accidentally turned on the lock button, just below the large quick control dial ("wheel")?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    Is it possible that you have accidentally turned on the lock button, just below the large quick control dial ("wheel")?
    That's what I was thinking as well, only becuase I have had it happen to me.
    Bob

Thank you Richard and Bob...It's kind of embarrassing, but I have been swearing at the camera for two weeks now (resetting the camera over and over, resetting the firmware a couple of times and going thru the manual book) and it was just the lock button (really relived!)
    I had never used the lock button before (now accidentally) and i was in the belief that it would lock the wheel for any use, but now it works!...

The lens is still a mystery to me, I have to take a day to test the problem more and then contact Canon service.

Thanks once more!

Excellent! That happened to me many times too and the fact that it works for everything but when you get ready to take a picture is not to help

Quote Originally Posted by MIKKE View Post

The lens is still a mystery to me, I have to take a day to test the problem more and then contact Canon service.

Thanks once more!
    I'm sure you have already tried out the tripod and One Shot to rule out human error. I'd be curious what they say about the difference in focusing between the two modes. As far as AFMA, I'm pretty sure all lens change over time or differing weather/light conditions, so I don't think it would be because of the new firmware. Like I said though, I'd be interested to hear what Canon says.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

go to Custom Function III-4 "Lens Drive when AF is Impossible" Set it to "0:Focus search on".

please let us know your result

I got this directly from Canon Professional Network Canon Europe's 7D's Custom Functions Explained.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...s_explained.do

C.Fn III -4 – Lens drive when AF impossible

-In some situations, the camera may simply not be able to focus. These are usually situations where there is low contrast and no detail for the camera to lock onto – a good example is photographing a bird against a blue sky – if the AF point drifts off the bird to the sky, the camera may not be able to focus.
    -This Custom Function allows you to choose whether the camera attempts to focus or not. If focus search is set to on, setting 1, the lens may hunt through the range. With it set to Off, setting 2, the lens will not try to acquire focus until there is something to focus on. This is useful as if the lens hunts for focus, it is possible you won’t be able to see the bird at all, even when pointing directly at it, as it could be completely out of focus. In situations like this, you should set setting 1.
    -If you use this setting though, remember that in low light, the camera may simply decide there is nothing to focus on and it will not try. Unless you are aware you have this set, it can be quite frustrating.
    -This setting is most commonly used with long telephoto and super telephoto lenses.

The explanation is a bit confusing... Setting 1 is "0" and Setting 2 is "1" in the 7D's custom function menu

Last edited by Sinh Nhut Nguyen; 10-28-2012 at 03:14 AM.