Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mk III firmware update - in 6 months !!!!!!!

If they announce this far ahead on things like firmware, why not keep us interested (and, happy) by announcing a new camera 6 months in advance? Just a few features, to bait the hook. That would give us the excitement, and might forego thinking about switching (to Nikon, for example).

I'm suspecting that the uncompressed HDMI out support is being used as a tactic to stop users switching to Nikon. I have read a number of 5D3 vs D800 comparisons that have really highlighted the fact that the 5D3 does not have uncompressed HDMI output while the D800 does. From what I read this can be a big bonus in terms of workflow for video users. I guess since these two cameras have been a bit of a turning point in some cases as to people deciding whether to go Nikon or Canon, showing that the 5D3 will (in 6 months time) have the same capability as the Nikon might curb any potential lost customer to Nikon.

Just a thought...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Oh, I agree also that AF at f/8 would be a good marketing strategy to increase the volume of supertele sales.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I have a slightly different take. I think the announcement is simply to appease the users and stop the emails demanding the functions. I suspect the HDMI may be to eliminate that advantage of the D800.

As I assume they have a group or division that handles firmware, I am wondering what else they are working on between now and April that is diverting their focus from this update. I am going to speculate the 7Dii, 70d, and a rebel will all be announced in the jan/feb timeframe and that the "firmware" group is busy with those three until then.

Clean HDMI takes a chunk out of the d800 feature benefit - now for dynamic range...

AF has to be in response to customer communications

Certainly slows down defections. They might be expecting a move from Nikon to update Firmware a notch or two
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

So, this 6-month out update provides clean HDMI and f/8 AF, but not the AF point illumination in AI Servo that was given to the 1D X. I wonder if that omission is technical in nature - the 5DIII metering sensor (same one in the 7D, 1D IV, etc.) is a dual-layer sensor with red/green and blue/green, while the 1D X has an RGB sensor. Thus, the 1D X can ignore metering light input in just the red channel, whereas the 5DIII cannot. Time will tell...this is a fix many 5DIII owners would like.

I think giving f/8 AF to the 5DIII may turn out to be a very shrewd move on Canon's part. Will this trickle down to a 7DII? That would be great, and it would certainly have me looking hard at getting a 7DII. But it may be in Canon's best interest not to give f/8 AF to an APS-C body. A 7DII will likely see a cost bump from the 7D, but it's still going to be cheaper than a 5DIII. With the 5DIII having the ability to AF with an f/5.6 lens + 1.4x TC, that makes up for a good portion of the difference between FF and APS-C in terms of reach...and with the excellent AF and 6 fps of the 5DIII, mitigating the reach 'benefit' of the crop sensor makes the 5DIII an easier up-sell from a 7DII. Just my 2¢.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I think giving f/8 AF to the 5DIII may turn out to be a very shrewd move on Canon's part. Will this trickle down to a 7DII? That would be great, and it would certainly have me looking hard at getting a 7DII. But it may be in Canon's best interest not to give f/8 AF to an APS-C body. A 7DII will likely see a cost bump from the 7D, but it's still going to be cheaper than a 5DIII. With the 5DIII having the ability to AF with an f/5.6 lens + 1.4x TC, that makes up for a good portion of the difference between FF and APS-C in terms of reach...and with the excellent AF and 6 fps of the 5DIII, mitigating the reach 'benefit' of the crop sensor makes the 5DIII an easier up-sell from a 7DII. Just my 2¢.
    I would like to see a 7D II with a 1D type AF system and an improved sensor. It might be the best wildlife camera to date and I would be willing to pay a dollar or two for it.

But here is what is wrong with your and my logic in this John. Canon released a camera called the 6D. In Canon's marketing it goes like this 1D>5D>6D and it stands to reason they will continue this with a new 7D being less than all of those, even the 6D. We saw this with the 50 - 60D upgrade where Canon took features away so it wouldn't compete with the 7D. I think technically what we want is a superior 7D, I think in reality what we will end up with will be a downgraded 7D.

Sadly, I think you might be right, Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I would like to see a 7D II with a 1D type AF system and an improved sensor. It might be the best wildlife camera to date and I would be willing to pay a dollar or two for it.

But here is what is wrong with your and my logic in this John. Canon released a camera called the 6D. In Canon's marketing it goes like this 1D>5D>6D and it stands to reason they will continue this with a new 7D being less than all of those, even the 6D. We saw this with the 50 - 60D upgrade where Canon took features away so it wouldn't compete with the 7D. I think technically what we want is a superior 7D, I think in reality what we will end up with will be a downgraded 7D.
    Here's the way I see it:
    5DII --> 5D III (upgraded features all around...a worthy successor to the 5D II's position in the lineup)
    5DII --> 6D (comparable, slightly better...basically, the successor to a mature camera's position in the current marketplace that is very similar in its dated capabilities)
    50D --> 60D (less rugged and stripped of AFMA...you have a point here)
    7D --> 7D II? (if the camera comes to fruition, it will be a similarly positioned camera with newer/better features and capabilities, not lower)

Sean, I think marketing has a way out of the number dilemma. The 7D goes away and they release it with a different number, say a 3D or some other arbitrary number so they can incorporate those things in to it. I have this on my Christmas list for 2013.

I think this may be Canon’s strategy and it makes sense. The 7D II will not be upgraded to a point that it will compete with the 1D AF system, and the reason why is that Canon wants to push FF because with FF it forces you to buy the longer lenses.