View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jayson

1 2.70%
  • neuroanatomist

15 40.54%
  • btaylor

2 5.41%
  • Bouwy

3 8.11%
  • erno james

16 43.24%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #43 - Layers (Congrats Erno James)

#43 - Layers (Congrats Erno James)

On behalf of HAM this is assignment 43: Layers

"This is a fairly open assignment, but it's something I'm trying to concentrate on myself, so let's see how you can all do. The idea of layering is to build visual information up in layers from front to back so that the eye never truly rests on one aspect of the image. Sometimes however it's pushed to the other extreme, and multiple layers are used to create a flat image which isn't what it first seems to be.

Thanks all for the entries. In hindsight the onset of Winter was never going to get a great number of street entries, but the landscapes and abstracts (neuro) have made it all the more worthwhile. I had to be really picky to get it to a fair 5, so sorry if yours didn't make it.

In no particular order. Here're my selections:

Name: Jayson
    Motivation: Despite being an older shot, the foreground, midground and background all have interest. It's very nicely processed and portrays a calm feeling despite the jaggy obstacles in your way.

Name: Neuroanatomist
    Motivation: Spectacular colours, details and enough mystique to really hold the eye. The reflections, the lillies the bright shore, the reeds, I'd love to see this printed huge on a wall.

Name: btaylor
    Motivation: Even the heavens conspired to help Ben get as many layers in as possible. Despite the vivid colours, I'd be interested to see this in B&W to really draw attention to the stark contrast between the main subject and the other outcrops.

Name: Bouwy
    Motivation: Wally nailed my original intention with this street shot. Not only have you got a fantastic arrangement of people, but the forground rock is textured to perfection, and the hills in the background tell the story whilst completing the assignment to a T.

Name: erno james
    Motivation: Another seascape littered with obstacles. And also another with gorgeous sunrays making sure the sea doesn't get the better of you and bring you back to shore.

Last edited by Sheiky; 11-09-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Finalists are chosen

Ham, This is going to be tough or the "imagination challenged" folks, like me. Hmmmm, How do I even start to think about this??

Cool Idea,

Bob
    Bob

I'm thinking the 135 F2L is not going to be the lens of choice for this one.
    Mark - Flickr

Yep, it's definitely going to be a challenging one (already i know that I don't have anything available to fall back on, so it'll have to be a new one for me).
    Coincidental too, I've been really getting into Street lately (at least trying, not sure if i'm succeeding). Tried last weekend with my Dad's old Rangefinder I inherited with 100 TMax, and some Efke 100 in the 3 with the Shorty Forty, and I pick them up from the developers tonight so I can see if i've got anything decent.

But for this I'm going to resist the Shorty Forty on the EOS 3, instead try one of my many 28/2.8s on the 7D, f/8 and hyperfocal, walkaround and start shooting...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

That's the spirit. It doesn't have to be street if you don't want it to be, I know how some people feel about shooting the public, but if it's something you've fancied trying or are recently getting into then it's a great excuse. The theme will work just as well in more formal (group) portraiture, macro or landscape, so hopefully we'll still get lots of entries.
    Last edited by ham; 10-26-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Gave it a try this morning. The water was not as calm as I would have liked in order to get better reflections of the buildings, but I hope this fits the assignment.

Montague at Sunrise-2641 by westmichigan, on Flickr
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

This is an older photo, but I think the only one that I have at the moment. My purpose was to capture the frosted trees that morning, but tried to get some rocks in the foreground with ice around them. I didn't notice the bottle cap in the water until later. I hope this is what we are looking for here???

This is what I went out for that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Gave it a try this morning. The water was not as calm as I would have liked in order to get better reflections of the buildings, but I hope this fits the assignment.
    I really like this one!

I'm excited to go out and try to get a few shots. I have a few ideas, but I'm kicking myself for not having a tripod yet (I left mine in the states).
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

Another post for inspiration:

http://www.eye5.org/multiple-layers/

IMG_0135 by clemmb60, on Flickr
    Mark