View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jayson

1 2.70%
  • neuroanatomist

15 40.54%
  • btaylor

2 5.41%
  • Bouwy

3 8.11%
  • erno james

16 43.24%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: #43 - Layers (Congrats Erno James)

Took this snap shot of my family trying to get down very carefully around the rocks at Mt Buffalo Victoria

Name:  IMG_3498-mtbuffalowsxsbw-master1tdp2.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  169.5 KB
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

I think this will be my entry unless I come up with something better by the 8th.

I chose this one because of the layer of clouds and layers showing the change in seasons. Fall colors on the tree in front and trees that are still green in the background and then the pink flowers along the background depicting still a hint of summer. In the far background are many of the yachts still docked at the Kenosha harbor.

My favorite season has arrived! by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    Trying not to say anything about individual images, but I'm enjoying this thread a lot so far.
    I know the feeling Ham, I had the same problem with the last contest. But since I am not the initial Judge, I just can't help myself this time.

Great work from all.

John, Beautiful work, the combo of the colors, reflections and depth in this shot are stunning.

Erno, the mood and quality of that seascape is just gorgeaous

and JRW---way to stick with the theme of the contest, so much happening in that shot. Very nice work

Good luck to all,

Bob
    Bob

I didn't get out today, instead I've injured my back bending over to pick up my laptop, so I don't think I'll be putting anything forward...

Well, I haven't managed to get out and about with the 7D and 28mm like I was hoping (depending on for how long this assignment runs, maybe next weekend). So this is my entry for now.

Taken 2 weeks ago at one of my best mate's wedding, with the P6 and Zeiss Biometar 120/2.8 on Neopan 100.
    It doesn't count much for a good wedding photo, the people in the background (especially right between their heads) kinda ruined it a bit for that.
    But for this assignment it kinda fits (or it's the best I can do for now), there's different 'layers' of people in the background, the ones on the left are lining up for the next photo, and the chick on the right was herding people to line up for the next shots (in english and cantonese), I managed to grab the happy couple just in time between set-shots. And I think a few in the background are looking at the huge silver beast of a camera i'm carrying, everyone else had new digitals (I saw no less than 10 5Dmk3s that day, with alternately 24-70, 24-105, and one or two 70-200). Still, was fun limiting myself to 'only' 12 shots on the roll, means I tried to make each shot count (which was the point).

Anyway, enough blabbing, more linking:

(only sharing small version for now, it's a bit soft until I get my BetterScanning holder in a few weeks, then I might give the groom a copy...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

layers of beautiful british design!

I'm going to post this one here as suggested because I haven't been able to get out and shoot anything new for this assignment. I had a few ideas, but the weather has just been horrible and now it looks like I won't have time this week.

From the original post, "The idea of layering is to build visual information up in layers from front to back so that the eye never truly rests on one aspect of the image." I'm not sure if it is just me trying to critique my own work, but when I look at this image my eyes keep jumping around from one thing to the next. My view snaps between the overturned kayak, the row boat, the island, the tree on the right, the treeline on the left, and the clouds overhead.

Priest Lake evening by Poik242, on Flickr
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

Storm moving through South Dallas

Back to my other image. I think it shows some pretty good depth with a definite foreground, middleground and background.

To really see the detail it needs to be viewed larger here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/freelan...ream/lightbox/

Last edited by freelanceshots; 11-08-2012 at 05:40 PM.

I've decided to change my entry for this assignment. I was so happy that I was able to pull this shot off! I pretty much took the layer concept from my ultimate idol Sal Cincotta using the urban look of an extremely old beach house in Kenosha. Using visual layering of the bride, the groom, the rocks and Lake Michigan, I thought it turned out pretty well for a first attempt at this sort of concept.

Wedding_1 by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Last Saturday we visited my best friend's daughter at her resting place to light a candle for her. I really like this shot of sad beauty (as do her parents). (I gave them copies that they already showed on the Internet, so they're OK with the photo on the web. Still I chose to blur her name here.)

Name:  IMG_4636_ED_S-blur.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  157.3 KB