Thread: Shopping Recommendation???

Shopping Recommendation???

I was looking for a specific item and clicked on one of the links at the bottom of the page stating that there were good deals on this product. I went to that site and the deals were awesome. The 5D Mark II was half the price. I wonder if it was too good to be true however. My question is are all of the sites listed at the bottom of this page trustworth and reliable? I searched the BBB for this company and it didn't appear. I want to make sure that all information collected is from a reliable business before I proceed any further.

Re: Shopping Recommendation???

I'm not sure what you mean by the bottom of this page. On the bottom of this page is B&H and Amazon, and they are both reputable. If you are asking about another company, I'd do a google search and look for complaints about the company. Typically things that are too good to be true are too good to be true.

Sorry, i should have clarified. I have used amazon and b&h in the pat and they are awesome.

Pro Photo Nation out of New York is the company

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson
    Pro Photo Nation out of New York is the company

Always check Reseller Ratings. With 2/10 and only 5 reviews, I wouldn't trust this company.

Dan is giving you great advice. The internet is FULL of camera stores that promise super low prices, but with terribly deceptive sales practices. You'll be asked to pay extra for the battery or the strap and by the time your done, you will have spent more than retail for your item. If you refuse the add ons, your product will go on endless backorder.

Adorama is one of the companies I have no trouble recommending. I won't waste your time with all the stories of exceptional service, just be sure you willgetgood customer service and high quality productsfrom them.

You have to realize that sensor size and not pixels is at the root of high camera cost for FF. The silicon cost wouldn't change much if you had less pixels (you'd have a slightly larger yield with lower MP sensors, which would reduce the cost).

If you have larger pixels (i.e. less MP for the same area) you're going to have lower noise, which is why the original 5D was so good (compared to the crop sensors at the time) and why the Nikon 700 is less noisy at high ISOs (noise processing also helps). Less MP also reduces lens aberrations, which is why people say the 40D has better picture quality than the 50D.

The only way to reduce the price of FF cameras is to sell more of them, then the cost per sensor die is reduced (the reason why Pentium chips can be sold for the prices they do since they're produced in hundreds of thousands).

Whops, posted in the wrong thread! :S

I would generally trust most places on this site, but remember. If google ads are used the site doesnt have control on the ads that show.

Take resellerratings.com with a grain of salt. KEH gets bashed alot, but I have never had problems with them in over 8 yrs of using them.

I started a thread about camera scams online:

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/forums/t/661.aspx

There are a lot of them and most of the ones I see are advertized through Google. Just do a quick web search with the company's name and the word "review" and you will quickly find several hundred horror stories. If you want a deal, look for used gear from reputable sellers on ebay or wait for Canon rebates to come out (May?).

Jayson - Sorry about that - I added prophotonation.com to the Google Ads filter along with the many other similar retailers already there.

Please let me know when you see other scam/bait & switch retailers showing in these ads- I'll filter them as well. I need the domain name for this function.

Same with the PriceGrabber co-brand. I have had several retailers removed from this feature as well.

The retailers I explicitly recommend are the ones I usually use. No retailer is perfect, but these haveproven very trustworthyfor me.

Thanks,

Bryan