I recently took an extended weekend in Zion for some hiking and pictures. I was in Vegas for a conferences, so I thought this was a nice side trip.

Since most of my gear was decided based on this forum, I thought it was a decent set as my first share.

Everything was shot with a 60D and 17-55 f/2.8. I hiked with the camera, F-Stop Guru pack, and a 3LT Brian carbon tripod. Pack was great with the gear, almost a gallon of water and food. After the first day I left the 70-200 f/4L back since I found little use. There wasn't a lot of wildlife to see.

It was phenomenally beautiful, just about every step was a photo opportunity. The water was pretty low, I imagine spring would be great for the waterfall and river shots.

54 pics in total on Flickr, here are a few highlights. All of these are straight from the camera, no post processing yet.

Start of my first hike.

IMG_2454.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

Highlight of the trip was a hike through the Narrows. The trail is the river. Water was knee deep for the most part, up to waist deep. Canon is 1300 feet deep and at times, the trail/river narrows to 22 feet through a section called Wall Street.

IMG_2602.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

IMG_2611.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

IMG_2646.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

IMG_2659.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

My third day was a hike up from river level to top of the canyons. 1500+ foot climb and I realized I am getting old.

IMG_2772.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

IMG_2793.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

IMG_2812.jpg by EricPvpi2, on Flickr

It was a great trip, I would love to go back and see Bryce and and few more locations.

Thanks for looking!