Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on RAW capture size

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    There was a thread a while back about this. One of the things that was discovered is that the online backup was way to slow.
    Second is that if you are like me you do not have enough room on your hard drive for all your files, so you need a service that will do your other drives.
    I thought it would be convenient to have an online service, all I checked in to that were unlimited were reported to be to slow or had other issues. Those that would be fast enough were cost prohibitive. If you find a good option let us know on the forum.
    I think I read that one and made a comment about the online service I was going to use. It was rated well, but not unlimited. Once I started adding up what I had so I could sign up, I realized I will quickly hit the limits, so I started this one to make sure I am capturing at the right level for my needs.

I am an IT guy, so I am supposed to be better at backing up. It is embarrassing when we lose data

Those that would be fast enough were cost prohibitive. If you find a good option let us know on the forum.
    I use fdcservers.net. $45/month ($200 setup) for a dedicated Atom server, 2TB hdd, and unlimited 10 Mbps connection. It takes me about 3 weeks to transfer 2TB, but after it transferred the first time, all I have to do is send changes. I use Duplicity to store the backups encrypted. But this is a highly technical solution that would be very difficult for normal computer users to setup.

I separate my shootings into two categories, Art and family snapshot. For art I shoot RAW and for family snapshot I shoot Medium Raw. I like to have the flexible of RAW files and also save space, download and upload times therefore I choose Medium Raw. Heck, I should shoot Large JPEG for family snapshots because I rarely edit anything. 95% of the family snapshot will go straight to Facebook and the rest will be printed in 4x6 so a 10 megapixel file is more than what you need.

There was a thread a while back about this. One of the things that was discovered is that the online backup was way to slow.
    Second is that if you are like me you do not have enough room on your hard drive for all your files, so you need a service that will do your other drives.
    I thought it would be convenient to have an online service, all I checked in to that were unlimited were reported to be to slow or had other issues. Those that would be fast enough were cost prohibitive. If you find a good option let us know on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
    I use fdcservers.net. $45/month ($200 setup) for a dedicated Atom server, 2TB hdd, and unlimited 10 Mbps connection. It takes me about 3 weeks to transfer 2TB, but after it transferred the first time, all I have to do is send changes. I use Duplicity to store the backups encrypted. But this is a highly technical solution that would be very difficult for normal computer users to setup.
    Looking at Carbonite, which is unlimited, it would take 25+ days for the initial upload. And I have the feeling it won't let me backup from my NAS drive since I see they distinguish between external drives and NAS drives.

Right now I am thinking about upgrading my NAS drive to a newer version. For around $750 I can buy 2 Netgear ReadyNAS duo v2 drives, each with mirrored 2 TB drives. You use 1 as your primary drive at home and then replicate it to the second drive. You can then place the second drive at another location and keep them in sync.

Besides the backup solution, it gives you other features http://www.netgear.com/landing/personalcloud/ such as remote access, dropbox like sync, and photo sharing. I have the previous version of the Netgear which can't do the replication, but I have liked keeping all of my data on the NAS drive since it keeps it independent of each computer as well as being mirrored. It makes it a lot easier when a computer has trouble or gets replaced.

So, $375 gets you a 2 TB home storage solution with another $375 as a one time cost for a backup solution. Depending on how you configure the NAS, you can go up to 6 GB in each, so you can grow it if needed. Best part is once it is setup, it will do the backup to the second unit on its own.

Eric