Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone peeved about the MAP (Massive Arbitrary Punitive) pricing?

Anyone peeved about the MAP (Massive Arbitrary Punitive) pricing?

I was not ready to jump on the 5D3 on the 31st because I was waiting to see what the 6D and the 7D2 will look like, plus I would have also needed a new standard FF zoom lens at the same time. (Also I suppose I really didn't believe it would actually jump up like that). Suddenly the best price jumps from $2,800.00 to $3,300.00 or $3,500.00 w/o rebate overnight.

Given Canon's recent spate of unfavorable comparisons to its mortal rival Nikon, who also sells its comparable (many say currently "better") camera bodies for less than Canon, do we suppose:

1.) Canon will quietly lower its official MAP pricing, or
    2.) will Canon run deeper and even more frequent rebates, or
    3.) will it do nothing, or
    4.) will Nikon take this as an opportunity to increase its prices?

Caveat:
    Early adopters who paid $3500 are probably happy, as they were probably not happy when the price plunged $700.00 in free market trading. Those who did catch it at $2800 are probably also happy, as they scored a deal. Actually, anyone at all who already has any new Canon body at all will be pleased because of the effect on resale value.

So this would apply primarily to those who have NOT recently made a big purchase, but who were planning one.
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 11-02-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

I'm guessing #4. Guess that means I'm a glass-half-empty type.

I dont see big price change on ebay, still about $2900. i hope will see $2500-2600 during holiay season, too greedy i guess haha!

Are any of the still-exisiting $2900 vendors authorized dealers? With warranty, etc.?
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    Are any of the still-exisiting $2900 vendors authorized dealers? With warranty, etc.?
    Scott, i know what you mean.
    but i trust ebay top rated stores and ebays protection for buyers, their return policy, 2% cash cack...., plus, all my Canon gears havent got any probnlems yet!
    take a chance if the price difference is that big, i think it worth it, especially if i see price tag @$2500 haha, but i kind regreat i didn't klick the button when adoroma ebay store was selling for $2750(maybe $2799, i forgot), i know they sold 818 bodys that day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Amazon still had a lower price this morning. Wasn't listed, had to add to cart to see it.
    That's the point - it's a minimum *advertised* price.

So what EXACTLY do you look for on a web dealer to know they are giving you a real (not 3rd party) actual CANON USA warranty? I have heard of dealers who pass off some kind of 3rd party warranty?

So what EXACTLY do you look for on a web dealer to know they are giving you a real (not 3rd party) actual CANON USA warranty? I have heard of dealers who pass off some kind of 3rd party warranty?
    say this top rated ebay seller "getitdigital", has 99.8% positive feed back, selling USA model 5DIII for $2870.329(after 2% ebay cash back) with 30day cash back or item exchange return policy. compare to $3300 with USA warranty, that's $471 difference.if i have to buy one now , i will go with this ebay seller to save the $471, but it's just me, if u have to have usa warranty, simply pay $471 more , that's it. if u keep buying Canon stuff, chances are my way seems can save me some money cause I have bought about $20000 Canon gears and most of them are older then one year, no big problem at all, so I don't worry too much about the USA warranty, same thing, I tend not to buy any extended warranty, if i keep doing in my life time, maybe I will get some bad quality products, but totally i think I will save more money than who tend to buy extended warranty for everything he bought. just my 2 cents, and sorry for hijacking the op.

For US dealers, you look for them on this list:

http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets...zedDealers.pdf

So, I'm confused. I know the MAP is minimum advertised price, but does that mean dealers and sellers can just not advertise the price and sell it for less?

The 5DMkIII is already a huge amount over here, and if you guys get slugged an extra $700 I can only imagine what we'd be hit for extra price.

Also, given I'm not business orientated, why has Canon taken this step? Surely advertising lower prices would boost sales?