Thread: MT-24EX or MR-14EX macro flash?

MT-24EX or MR-14EX macro flash?

So I've been looking forward to getting into macro photography and have definite plans of gettingCanons 100mm 2.8 macro. I can't decide which of the two macro flashes to get with it. The MT-24 has more power to help with smaller f-stops needed for macro photography and lower iso's but it also has 2 defined heads at such close distances and am afraid it will cause harsher shadows then the MR-14. I was hoping to get some advice and some image posts by any current MT-24 or MR-14 owners.

Fred~

Re: MT-24EX or MR-14EX macro flash?

I've never tried the MR-14, but for extreme closeups, I really like the MT-24. When you're really close, the ability to rotate the heads (about 3 axes!) to get the light coming from whatever direction you like is a big plus. With two independantly aimable heads, one can illuminate the subject and one to fill the background. It's great.

Re: MT-24EX or MR-14EX macro flash?

Out of the box, you will certainly get harsh shadows since unlike the MT-14, the 24 doesn't have frosted flash heads. Minimally get the sto-fen diffusers, they make a world of difference.

Oh, and I vote for the MT-24, they work very well.