Thread: 67mm variable filters

67mm variable filters

Ok, so I've been looking for a good variable ND filter to replace my Fotar pos. I've checked out Hoya and Tiffen for the 67mm and I've noticed prices are very similar on them.

So, with that being said would you recommend the Hoya or the Tiffen? I know they're both good quality but from my understanding Tiffen may be slightly better? It's going on a 18-135mm lens but I'd still like a good quality filter.

My suggestion is to not buy a 67mm Variable ND filter. Buy a 77mm ND filter and use step-up rings to fit the lens with the 67mm filter threads.

A 77mm filter will prove far more versatile. On that, I highly recommend the Singh-Ray Vari-NDs. I've had three different types of variable ND filters, and Singh-Ray is by far the best. It's costly, but worth every penny.

Sean, thanks for your reply.

Considering I'm still a novice and don't understand the benefits of the 77 on a 67mm lens, could you please explain the reason for this? Is it to reduce vignetting etc or does it have another purpose?

Also, given the lens isn't an L series or a high quality lens would you still recommend the Singh?

I assume the reason is there are far more 77mm diameter lenses than 67mm. If you buy the larger size and a cheap step-up ring, you can use the same filter on all the lenses.

Ahhhh yes, that's a very good point. Also I just checked out Singh-Ray and unfortunately it's out of my price range It's literally over double the price of the Hoya and Tiffen.