Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with potential lighting issues?

This is an interesting DIY technique for coping with high DR scenes......

http://www.alexwisephotography.net/b...ensity-filter/

Squidy.....if you have LR 4 (not sure if earlier versions have this ability) try the "graduated filter" (to the right of the red eye correction) in LR's develop section.

Of course you still need to balance exposure in the camera for this tool to work adequately.

Good luck
    Bill

Bill,

Thanks. I've tried the grad filter but to be honest I'm not sure how to use it properly. Do you still use it after using a real grad filter etc?

I bought myself a Cokin kit yesterday so I'm hoping that will work out well.

It's just hard though, everytime I try to buy something I get told what I have is currently junk and not capable of what I want to do and to upgrade. I can never tell if it's true or not.

Squidy....yes, I've used it w/my grad filter, w/my Big Stopper and in combination of these 2 filters. Don't be afraid to test the extremes of your equipment....play w/your new tools and learn what they can and cannot do.

By playing w/your "toys"....it also allows you to become familiar w/the tool and allows you to build confidence in using it.....while having fun.

I played w/a number of my pix w/LR's grad filter before I became comfortable using it.

Here are some LR grad filter examples at Flickr (specifically the 3 Revolutionary pix); http://www.flickr.com/photos/29409592@N03/

These were taken midday w/a CP attached.

Enjoy your new toys Squidy

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Bill,

Thanks. I've tried the grad filter but to be honest I'm not sure how to use it properly. Do you still use it after using a real grad filter etc?

I bought myself a Cokin kit yesterday so I'm hoping that will work out well.

It's just hard though, everytime I try to buy something I get told what I have is currently junk and not capable of what I want to do and to upgrade. I can never tell if it's true or not.
    YouTube is a great place to learn little things about software and equipment. In this file is a very short tutorial on the Graduated Filter in Lightroom that might help you get started using this filter/adjustment. There are also many others out there as well.

Good luck,

Bob
    Bob

Ahhh awesome, thanks, I'll check it out

I've just discovered the camera doesn't appear to be too good in low light either, so that's going to be a bit of a learning curve getting photos with lower noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    ...It's just hard though, everytime I try to buy something I get told what I have is currently junk and not capable of what I want to do and to upgrade. I can never tell if it's true or not.
    Squidy:
    You need to get some different friends that are not so negitive about your equipment. Others will suggest you need to buy the best as long as they are not paying. If you can afford it, then great go for it.

However, there is a lot you can do with less than top of the line equipment.

Do not take this wrong though, the advise you have been getting here has been good... there is always a lot to learn here.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Sorry, it wasn't friends it was different shops etc. One shop even told me the 650D was flawed out of the factory and wanted me to buy their 5DmkII off them for close to $3k etc. Gets a bit disheartening to be honest. And yeah, the advice here is always top notch which is fantastic

Shops are in the business of selling you things. They will always try to make you spend more money.

If the 650D was flawed out of the box, they a) wouldn't sell it, and b) they'd take it back if yours had the flaw.

Hi Squidy,

Welcome to the forums. From this thread, I am not sure if you problems have been solved or if you are still having problems. If you are still having problems, could you post a few more shots that show the issues you are having?

Sorry to hear you are having any problems at all....but hopefully that is either taken care of or will be soon.