Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New lens, help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by d0051m View Post
    Thanks for your help, do you have any thoughts on the tamron 17-50 f2.8, the more I see the price the better it looks!!!
    If you get a good copy of this lens, it is really fantastic. I've had two. One of them, which I bought for my school and don't get to use anymore, has great IQ, color, contrast and sharpness -- all for a fraction of the price of other f/2.8 general purpose lenses. The second one I bought (for myself personally) stunk it up. There was some sort of major focus/sharpness problem, and I promptly returned it. I believe others have had similar experiences with this lens.

If you buy from a reputable dealer with an easy, "no questions asked" return policy, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    If you get a good copy of this lens, it is really fantastic.
    Is this obvious to tell? Sorry to be dumb just want to get it right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by d0051m View Post
    Is this obvious to tell? Sorry to be dumb just want to get it right!!!
    You can get a good copy of the 18-55mm kit lens, for example, and its "best" isn't good enough for many people. There are plenty of lenses out there whose best quality doesn't pass muster for the discerning photographer. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is one of those lenses that CAN pass with flying colors, but only if you get a good one. Tamron has had some quality control issues with that lens.

The Tamron is a very good value, it's not quite as good at certain focal lengths but at other it's just as good. The build is not as good, the AF is noisy and quality control can sometimes be a pain. But other than that it's a good lens.

It sounds like you haven't taken a look at Bryan's (owner of this site) ISO 112233 crops, they are 100% crops of lenses so you can get a acurate idea of the sharpness and other qualities. Here is the link that compares these two lenses http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0.

Hope this helps,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Also been recommended the sigma 10-20mm for landscapes and cityscapes. What your thoughts?