Curious to hear others opinions, but in the several weeks I have been using the 24-70vii in place of the 24-105 - I have paid close attention to whether I would notice the long end focal range difference. At this point, it seems to be taking about 3 extra steps toward my subject (at 70mm vs 105mm to get the same frame). I am sure there is a scientific way to analyze that - so maybe I am missing something.

For my purposes the new 24-70 f/2.8vii is hands down better than the 24-105, and not in the same league as the 17-55 (which I could only endure for a few months when I was using the 60D). Maybe later I will notice some blurry shots due to no IS - but so far (about 650 pictures) I haven't missed it at all. The IQ, the tight zoom ring with a lock and the f/2.8 are worth the extra cost and 3 extra steps to me!

My shots have included; dance practice, indoor (active) kid shots around the house, outside family portraits, indoor car shows, birthday parties, etc. I have not noticed the extra weight or many of the other "complaints".

Of course if the price was lower I would be happier - but I am a satisfied customer.