Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cute Puppy!

Cute Puppy!

Sorry it's not a puppy []. This is what I ran into while out photograhing hummingbirds yesterday @ Huntington Beach Central Park, Huntington Beach CA.

40D, 400 f/5.6L, f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 3200, Noise Ninja in the background, 80% of original image.

I wished that there was more light so I could use smaller f-stop to get the plant in the forground in focus.

Larger Version here http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8870152&size=lg

Thanks for viewing and commenting, everyone!

Re: Cute Puppy!

Great image! Sense you shot it at iso 3200 I take it that there wasnt much light? It looks like the "puppy" was sitting still could you of dropped the iso to lets say 1600 or even 800 to get a shutter speed fast enough to capture the image? It seems like 1/500 for this situation is alittle fast. But great image none the less.

thanks

joel

Joel, thanks for viewing and commenting.

I was using a 40D + 400mm f/5.6L comboso the focal length is 640mm.It was about 6 pm and the coyote was in the shade so even at ISO 3200 I could only achieve shutter speed of 1/500 sec. The rule of thumb is that you need to haveat least ashutter speed of 1/focal length to avoid camera shake. In this case 1/500 isslower than the recommended speed. Reducing the ISO would slower the shutter speed and put me in much more risk of getting unsharp images.

You can never get the same moment twice in wildlife photography, therefore you need to be sure of getting a good imageevery timethe photo opportunity arises.Iwould rather get a noisy image than a blurry image. Noisy images can be fixed using a noise removal software, but blurryones are useless. []

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

I wished that there was more light so I could use smaller f-stop to get the plant in the forground in focus.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

You mean greater f-stop, or smaller aperture.

You're right Oren, smaller aperture. Thanks for pointing that out.

That is true, I didnt take the focal length into consideration. How many pictures did you get of the coyote? I know where I am from (PA) they are alittle bigger then the western varities, and pretty skittish when it comes to people.

I regret not carrying my camera as much as I should while hiking, three timeswhile hiking I have almost literally run into a black bear. Each time I didnt have the camera and each time they could of filled the frame at 70mm.

thanks

joel

Excellent photo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Noisy images can be fixed using a noise removal software, but blurryones are useless.

Yup!

When in doubt of camera shake, I usually shot a burst of 3-4 images, the ones in the middle are usually sharp, I believe this is the 2nd image of the 3-image burst.

Great shot!

But what's with the loss of contrast in the lower right hand corner?

It looks like there was something that was in the immediate foreground like a thin grey stick that is completely out of focus but which lowers the contrast. It is a little distracting to me as well. The Coyote is nice and sharp though. Nice photo.

Thanks for sharing!

Tom