Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon 650D vs 7D

Don't think so - the light in every scene you shoot can be very different, and the camera more or less captures it as is, other than our human vision, which makes all kinds of auto-enhancements. Just compare histograms of shots you like and the ones that look dull, and you should see a significant difference.
    Arnt

Well, I've checked a few monitors and thwe viewfinder and it always looks washed out. however as I said previously I just took one and it looks great... so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'll upload a few examples soon

So far it seems 60d or 7d would be better? I've tried going without touchscreen and it's easily doable.

Actually, better question I guess... Would I be better off just upgrading my glass and keeping the 650D?
    Last edited by Squidy; 11-14-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    So far it seems 60d or 7d would be better? I've tried going without touchscreen and it's easily doable.

Actually, better question I guess... Would I be better off just upgrading my glass and keeping the 650D?
    YES!

At the core of the system is the sensor - all the same on the 550,600,650, 60d, 7d. The sensor is what captures the image - the only imaging difference in the 650 vs. all these cameras is that it has the Digic 5 vs Digic 4 processor. If you lined up each of these cameras and put all the settings the same they would produce identical recordings of the scene with the exception of the 650 - it would have the benefit of the updated image processor. (there are slight exposure amplification differences but these are slight software tweaks by Canon vs. true underling IQ differences and can be eliminated with slight changes in exposure settings) The biggest difference that I can tell is the Digic 5 operates faster and secondarily can be tuned higher in noise reduction at the high iso settings.

Glass holds value extremely well, camera bodies fall in value fairly quickly when new bodies are introduced -Glass holds its value much, much longer. Even when Canon brings out a new version the hold version holds its value as Canon seems to jack the price for the new version for quite awhile.

In my opinion, there is no need to upgrade the camera body until you have a good handle on histograms, white balance, noise reduction, color saturation, and exposure. Once you have a good grip on these issues, then upgrading - if you still want to - you might not - would be to a larger full frame sensor given what appears to be your general subject matter.

Having said this, an investment in a 'photo safari' organized by a camera club, local "pro", one of the traveling shows might be more beneficial in both near & long term. It sounds like you have enough gear, just need experience & practice.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 11-14-2012 at 10:41 AM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Going back to your original post, it sounds like you have the opportunity to do a 1 for 1 trade and swap your 650 for a 7D. If it is a trade, I would do that. You are getting the same sensor, but better AF, weather sealing and the opportunity to do AFMA by getting the 7D.

If you have having to kick significant money in, I can easily see putting that money into glass and software like DXO or Adobe's Lightroom. If not already, start shooting in RAW and investing in good post-processing software and good lenses first is likely the way to go. Maybe, as mentioned above, also a club or classes.

Was looking into the 24-105L. Seems to be good and only $1k... Just hope I don't need to swap later. I think that and my macro should do me well though... I hope hehehe

Thanks heaps for all your help, it's greatly appreciated

Hmm. It would be different story if you didn't have either one yet, and you were deciding on which to buy. As you already have the T4i, which must have been a very recent purchase, I just don't see trading it right now for a used 3-year old camera that is about to be replaced/refreshed with a newer model. The 7D does not have a better sensor, and the T4i actually has a pretty nice new AF system itself, with all the cross-type AF points.

Unless you were doing extreme outdoor photography and really needed weather sealing and a metal body, I just don't see a huge difference there for you. Plus, with all the new stuff just about to come out, you might rather grab the 7D mk2 if it has a much improved sensor, or maybe add a full frame 6D or something.

But more than anything, I agree with Busted that you should probably first be sure you have good glass.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes