Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 650D vs 7D

Canon 650D vs 7D

Hey all,

I've been given a fantastic offer on trading in my 650D for a 7D and I'd like to know what everyone's opinion would be. I know the 7D is widely regarded as a better camera, but what is it that makes it better? From what I can see the 650D is newer (and apparently faster) and has a touchscreen which I find to be a godsend, but where does the 7D excel? Is it image quality etc?

If anyone has any opinions I'd love to hear them

650 has a slightly updated sensor - if any (live view auto focus)
    Digic 5 on the 650 image processor vs. dual Digic 4 on the 7d. 650 is "updated"

The difference as far as I can tell are,
    Auto focus points, (have you taken that many out of focus shots?)
    size & weight, construction, weather sealing, faster frames per second, penta prism vs. penta mirror (brighter), features such as electronic level and some other software bits which others are much better positioned to explain than I. Some love "the wheel" some not so much- I don't find it that much faster than the buttons.

Lose,
    touchscreen, improved live view focus,

If you are longing for higher frames per second.... plan to give the camera to your grand kids in 15 years.... find you take several shots out of focus...

I know lots of people complain the 650 and it siblings are small in the hand - I have a 5dIII and 600 (same size) and I like the light weight and don't find the body small - and I have fairly large hands. I am always "surprised" if I have handled the 600 for awhile and then pick up the 5dIII at how heavy it is.

I see at as "once in" the increment gets pretty small. IQ will be "better" in the 650 for the updated processor (some argue the high iso noise reduction is too much)

Feature set, other than the live view focusing/touch screen the 7d is much more advanced.

"Upgrade" for the missing features, not for IQ
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Agreed with everything he said. Heavily enjoyed the 7d,but if the features you need are found in the current camera, I'd stay there. Besides, they refresh the smaller sized cameras more often.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    The difference as far as I can tell are,
    size & weight, construction, weather sealing, faster frames per second, penta prism vs. penta mirror (brighter),
    Thats enough for me to go with the 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Some love "the wheel" some not so much- I don't find it that much faster than the buttons.
    After I upgraded from a Rebel to the 5D I found I hated the controls on the rebel. The wheel made it much faster for me. I also feel the rebel is too small in my hands.
    Mark

So image quality is better on the 650? I got told it was far superior on the 7d?

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    So image quality is better on the 650? I got told it was far superior on the 7d?
    Same basic sensor (650D adds some pixel clusters for phase AF), so same basic IQ from the sensor.

To the extent that the much better AF and faster frame rate help you get more keepers, that can be considered better IQ.

I'd go with the 7D for its AF and Frame Rate. I like the wheel and the joystick of the 7D, but I can live without them. AF and Frame Rates are much more important.

I'd take the 60D over the 650D still I think...

So definitely 7D.

You're still back to buying new CF cards for the 7d and not having your touchscreen which you like so much.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Absolutely incorrect.

The 7d, 600d 550d all share the same sensor and Digic Processor - impossible to have any IQ difference.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911