Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting picture that just got updated.

Interesting picture that just got updated.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.29/IMG_5F00_9053_2D00_2.JPG[/img]I took this picture some time in February and I have been looking at it not sure how I could have made the subject stand out more and grab your attention. Any advice and comments are very welcome.

Re: Interesting Picture. Not sure what to change.

The picture was taken in the spring and was in between classes about 10 in the morning.

I see several interesting elements that would have been good on their own or just one or two together, but in the current composition they are too jumbled to form a good subject or strong photo.

The play of light and shadow from the harsh overhead lighting on the shapes is somewhat interesting, but I think a low and soft light would have been much more pleasing.

The color, texture, and frailty of the leaves is an interesting subject, but none of them are isolated from the rest of the picture, nor contrasted with other elements (colors/textures). For example, a macro shot of just one leaf, on one branch, against the blue sky, would have provided a strong subject and contrast.

The pattern of criss-crossing of branches is interesting an interesting subject, but the arrangement is not quite interesting enough on its own from this perspective, especially given the varying size of branches, and the leaves get in the way.

The texture of the trunk is interesting, but not within the depth of field, nor big enough the composition to strike interest (at this viewing size, perhaps in a large print).

In short, I think it would benefit from less clutter and better light.

I think it 800px wide =) but I'm not positive. Anyway, usually pictures here are posted in 800*600 (still not positive) and they all fit.

As for the picture, I think all the branches make it a little distracting, but I still love the subject and the overall feeling of...fall you get looking at it.

What was the F number? Maybe a shorter depth of field would have helped.

I'd like to see one of the leaves isolated in the frame with the criss crossing of the branches as a blurred backdrop. But I agree with Daniel,different lighting would also help.

thanks

joel

Ok I think I see where you all are going. Isolate a subject more and change the lighting. What would you do to get the lighting changed?

I took the picture at ISO 100, F6.7, 1/180sec on a Canon 10D with the 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon lens at 80mm focal length. I had a circular polarizar attached.

If you wanted just a leaf or two would you go wit a longer telephoto? (remember I had to take the picture from a little bit of a distance to get the angle on the leaf without making the image totall flat.) I guess that I could have run a lower F-stop to get more blur.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming
    What would you do to get the lighting changed?

Sunrise and sunset are usually the best. The right arrangement of clouds can do it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming
    If you wanted just a leaf or two would you go wit a longer telephoto?

Yes.

Here are some ideas from a Flickr search:

Hey all,

Here is a shot that might be interesting to those who saw and commented on last years shot. Is this one better?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.29/IMG_5F00_5921.jpg[/img]

Canon 10D 85mm f/1.8 1/1000 ISO 100

Re: Interesting picture that just got updated.

I'll agree with Daniel with a few extras. To me it doesn't tell a story and it's to busy. It needs a point, a focal point, some background, reference point, just me though.

Scott

big improvement. It looks like there might have been some blades of grass super close to the lens, that are causeing a soft effect on the bottom left of the leaf. Other than that great shot.

dan